Advanced Ruby Book (was [ANN] Forthcoming 2nd ed. of _The Ruby Way_)

pat eyler

Shifting the focus of the thread a little bit, but what would your
idea table of contents look like in an Advanced Ruby book?

I can't speak to order either, but I'd love to see a chapter on
Profiling and Optimizing Ruby.

Martin DeMello

pat eyler said:
I can't speak to order either, but I'd love to see a chapter on
Profiling and Optimizing Ruby.

And one on distribution and IPC in the most general sense (Drb, shared
memory, clusters, communicating with other programs, client/server
architectures, etc)

martin

Phil Tomson

I can't speak to order either, but I'd love to see a chapter on
Profiling and Optimizing Ruby.

good list.
I'd include a chapter on "Functional Ruby" or "Higher order Ruby"

I'm not sure I'd include Unit Testing as it is covered in "Programming Ruby".

Also an inheritance diagram showing the relationship between Class, Module,
Object, Kernel, etc. would be good.

Phil

pat eyler

good list.
I'd include a chapter on "Functional Ruby" or "Higher order Ruby"

I'm not sure I'd include Unit Testing as it is covered in "Programming Ru=
by".

I'd love to see a more in-depth look at unit testing. (In fact, it wouldn=
't
be a bad thing to see a pocket reference sized piece.)

James Edward Gray II

I'd love to see a more in-depth look at unit testing. (In fact,
it wouldn't
be a bad thing to see a pocket reference sized piece.)

Yeah, the Prags have a Java and C# version of their volume don't
they? A Ruby version would be excellent.

James Edward Gray II

Garance A Drosehn

Well, that was succinct, but I'm not quite sure what you wanted
to say...