Any free ASP hosts still running out there?

Grunff

Jim said:
Yes but you live out in the wilds and don't count, just like the rest
of you uk.diy'ers *. however you must know someone, a great aunt or
someone who's willing to do front line tech-support (power-cycle...)
and host a box for you and get onto that there interweby for free.

I'm ok for hosting - test servers at home, and live servers in
data centers, works for me.

* Although http://jibbering.com/piccies/2003/09/1/Img_0002.jpg shows
the garden of where I am right now, and I think it looks sufficiently
diyish.

Yes, yes it does. Which part of that plot are you currently
inhabiting? And are you building something there? Is that why
you're homeless?

Jim Ley

Yes, yes it does. Which part of that plot are you currently
inhabiting?

fortunately that's the view from the window... inside isn't quite so
bad.
And are you building something there?

Nah, I'm staying at my sisters right now, who's been building an
extension (well technically her bloke has who is a builder), and I'm
just the sparky for my board.
Is that why you're homeless?

Nah, I'm homeless 'cos I gave up all my homes to bugger off travelling
for a bit, and have now returned, and need to decide what to do...

Jim.

Grunff

Jim said:
Nah, I'm homeless 'cos I gave up all my homes to bugger off travelling
for a bit, and have now returned, and need to decide what to do...

I seeee. Good luck with your decision.

Barry Pearson

Adrienne said:
I do it because I have to have somewhere I can show my customers mockup
sites, and I'm not going to go through the expense of having a static IP.
I only do this for ASP sites, for others, I have space on a "real" server
that I can send customers to.

Sorry if this is irrelevant.

I now have a reseller account. So I don't pay per web site, but just once for
lots of bandwidth. My hosting service doesn't care what I use it for, or how I
sell it on.

If I wanted to demonstrate lots of mock-ups, I would have one domain within
that account that I could put separate folder-structures into. (I often put
things into "temporary" folders for various reasons).

Chet

| Wait, I found it...
| Yes, I've signed up for a free account, with Access database
access.

| http://www32.brinkster.com/shuckle/Test.asp
|
| | > No, it doesn't. I checked into it, when I was looking for
free hosts.

| > Now, it doesn't seem to have any free plan at all, so it's a
moot point at
| > best.

| that
| > > Access is usable under the free plan.

Tom,
I was looking at the free account but I see that FTP is not
available for the free package. Since you signed up, what method
of uploading does the free account use?

Regards,

Chet
(e-mail address removed) (remove NOSPAM)

Dan Brussee

Not sure if this has been covered or not, but...

What about www.dyndns.org - they allow you to use your own server with
a dynamic DNS and re-route it using their domain name. For example, I
use www.xxxxxxxxx.dyndns.org to point to my home server (an ASP box,
by the way) to do demos and testing outside the development computer.
The xxxxxxx, of course is replaced by my own "domain" name that I
asked for at dyndns.org. Their service is totally free and is very
simple to set up. A quick, simple installation on your "server" - and
you are done! It even works through a router if you open up the web
port to the computer you want to host with.

mark4asp

Thanks Everyone,

I did get one of the free hosts to work.

www.brinkster.com doesn't seem to be free to new registrations.

I got www.1asphost.com to work. There is no FTP upload but they have
a good web interface file upload which allows one to zip up the site
and transfer as one file. It is automatically unzipped at the other
end - just make sure there is not root folder in you zip file.
Otherwise up to 5 files can be uploaded in one go. Very usable.

www.7host.com was supposed to work but the ftp never did - the
password allocated didn't work for ftp although the user I created did
exist. 7host also have a web interface file upload which allows only
one file at a time - so it is useless.

www.Phidji.com may work in time. My application is still pending.

http://www.developer.graphyx.net is still open but the number of new
registrations is limited.

www.websamba.com may also work.

Both websamba and graphyx approved my application and allocated me
space but I didn't test them as I'm now using 1asphost.

Adrienne

That is a truly bizzare attitude.

You say "If the client does not like the site (I'm not perfect,
after all), then no harm is done, and I'm not out any money".
But surely you've spent some time building this site. If you're
using some server side scripting, then you may well have spent a
fair bit of time, no? Is your time worth /nothing/ to you?

A mockup is a mockup is a mockup. Yes, I spend a fair amount of time, but
not very much, a page or two, just so the client can see.
Surely if you spent say £50 on asp hosting, and used it over and
over again to demo sites, then that £50 a year is tiny compared
to your time costs - or am I missing something fundamental?

Right now, I'm on a tiny budget, and as I said, I already pay for hosting
on a Unix box, and I'm very happy with the host. I wish my paid host had
ASP hosting available.
Instead you choose to demo your sites on crap, slow hosting
which may force popups on your clients!!

If you want to send me the £50, then I'll do it. In the meantime, I'll keep
telling people to download the Opera browser and not have to worry about a
slow, CSS broken, pop-up prone piece of s--t browser.

Tom Bates

[bottom post corrected]

Get with the times man. bottom posting is so 80's

I don't see what problem you have with this. Having
something > to test on is important, and you can only do so much
with your > home machine.

[top post corrected]

Yes, of course you need somewhere live to upload your test
stuff, but why does it need to be crappy free hosting? If you're
doing this for a living, presumably you value a/ your time and
b/ the impression you put across to your customers.

Spending a small amount on decent hosting, rather than wasting
time searching for and messing around with free hosting will
save you time and present you in a much better light. Is it
really worth it to save a few pounds?

Harvey Van Sickle

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 16:41:01 GMT, Tom Bates -- in a thread which was
discussing the merits of free hosting sites, and where, in passing, a
top-post was rearranged to a bottom one -- wrote

Get with the times man. bottom posting is so 80's

Thank you *so* much for your insights into the merits of using free vs
paid web hosting.

King Queen

Get with the times man. bottom posting is so 80's

Look, I don't care whether people bottom post or top post, we should
stick to the issue at discussion here.

I don't really mind if the moderators are elected or appointed. As
Richard states, in this sort of situation electeestend to end up as
appointees anyway after a while due to lack of interest in the
process.

Tom Bates

You're quite welcome.

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:14:41 +0100, Harvey Van Sickle
<[email protected]>, with a tiny modicum of humor, keyed in the
following sentence, probably with the idea that it could make a
minuscule difference somewhere in the cosmos: