Any utilities to remove the ALL the Microsoft formatting tags?

Shiperton Henethe

Hi

Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

This is driving me NUTS.
And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.

I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
plus the minimal table structure
and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
and I cant remember what it was called.

I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

Brian

Please avoid excessive cross-posting. This post did not belong in
html.critique (removed). I also removed the microsoft group, since
the solution is not MS. Followups set (you should have set them in
the first place) to alt.html.

Shiperton said:
Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

HTML Tidy
< http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ >

William Tasso

Shiperton said:
Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

have you considered exporting to csv?

Marc Bissonnette

Hi

Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

This is driving me NUTS.
And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.

I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
plus the minimal table structure
and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
and I cant remember what it was called.

I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

Easiest way to do this is with a text editor that has search-with-
replace, such as UltraEdit.

Here's what ya do:

Save the Excel file as a character delimited file. Lessay you use the
pipe as the separator: |

So file.xls becomes file.txt

Open file.txt in your text editor and do the following:
(In Ultra Edit,^p is a NEWLINE, ^t is a TAB)

Search for: |
Replace with: </TD><TD>

Next,

Search for: ^p
Replace with: </TD></TR>^p<TR><TD>

Then put a <TABLE> at the top of the file and a </TABLE> at the bottom of
the file.

Voila: A compact, HTML-ized excel table :)

Shiperton Henethe

William Tasso said:
have you considered exporting to csv?

That's an interesting question - I must
confess I dont think I'd considered it...

But do on then, how does one create a compact
HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
Dreamweaver (v4)? And then cut and paste into
the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
..HTML export)...

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Karim

Hi

Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

This is driving me NUTS.
And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.

I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
plus the minimal table structure
and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
and I cant remember what it was called.

I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

I tried to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to clean a html file produced from Excel
and it said "Nothing to clean up!". If there are no redundant or empty
tags, a cleanup utility won't be of much help. Excel produces verbose html
which is still valid.

Shiperton Henethe

Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
what the heck I'm looking at...

I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
in it...

Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Karim

That's an interesting question - I must
confess I dont think I'd considered it...

But do on then, how does one create a compact
HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
Dreamweaver (v4)? And then cut and paste into
the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
.HTML export)...

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

If you have MS Access, you can read in the xls or csv file and export to
HTML. Access produces clean html.

GreyWyvern

Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
what the heck I'm looking at...

I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
in it...

Whatever you do, never, EVER run Linux. You will blow up. Probably
literally.

Grey

Matthias Gutfeldt

Shiperton said:
But do on then, how does one create a compact
HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
Dreamweaver (v4)?

Yes, you can import csv into DW4.
And don't mix up CVS (Concurrent Versions System) with CSV (Comma
Separated Value file format).

And then cut and paste into
the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
.HTML export)...

You could try the Microsoft Office2000 HTML filter
<http://office.microsoft.com/Assistance/2000/htmlfilter.aspx>: It allows
you to "export to compact HTML", and after that you can run a
customizable filter over your file to remove even more fluff.

But 2500 rows of data in one HTML file seems a bit excessive. Can't you
put that in a database and then only show e.g. 10, 20, 50, or 100 sets
at a time?

Matthias

Jim Dabell

GreyWyvern said:
Whatever you do, never, EVER run Linux. You will blow up. Probably
literally.

Have you used any recent desktop distribution? They are about as simple to
use as anything else.

Anyway, if you don't want to use a command prompt, try this:

<URL:http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy.html#tidyui>

You see, tidy is a program without a GUI; a lot of Unix software is like
that for various reasons. End-users usually want a GUI, so people create
wrappers around the base application, Tidy UI is a wrapper for the tidy.exe
program.

William Tasso

Shiperton said:
That's an interesting question - I must
confess I dont think I'd considered it...

But do on then, how does one create a compact
HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
Dreamweaver (v4)?

d/w and pre-procesing editors have been covered elsewhere in this thread.
Which server-side facilities do you have available?

what are you trying to achieve with this? surely not display 2,500 rows on
one page?

Adrienne

If you have MS Access, you can read in the xls or csv file and export to
HTML. Access produces clean html.

In what world does Access produce clean code? Access produces the same
bloat that MS Word and Excel produce.

Adrienne

Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! - I cant understand
what the heck I'm looking at...

I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
in it...

Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

IIRC Tidy also works as a plug in for Dreamweaver. Check the Dreamweaver
documenation.

Adrienne

Hi

Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

This is driving me NUTS.
And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.

I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
plus the minimal table structure
and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
and I cant remember what it was called.

I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

You can use ASCII to Tab at
http://www.jafsoft.com/asctotab/?home&p=asctotab
to convert delimited (csv, asc, txt) to a clean table.