aspnet_wp.exe could not be started

Rbrt

This whole thing has already been discussed in this thread:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroup...-DC48AB0DA5C9&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

I have exactly the same scenario as the guy who started this thread - IIS on
a domain controller. Before you start lecturing me on my setup, I am a
professional developer and the reason I have IIS running on a domain
controller is that I have a small development network with a server (domain
controller/web server/SQL Server) and a couple of workstations. The server
also serves as a test deployment server for applications I build for my
customers. This should not be unusual given the population of MSDN members
(of which I am one). I have talked to a handful of them at Microsoft events
who do the same thing.

My server is Win 2003 Server standard, which I upgraded from Win 2000
Server. This in itself was a nightmare and I had to burn one of my 4 support
incidents to get it done. Took two days altogether. I couldn't believe how
badly it went. All of my software comes from my MSDN subscription.

Now I am trying to deploy an ASP.NET 2.0 app to the server from the
development workstation to testbed it.

I have all the same symptoms as discussed in the thread above - no
application pools showing up (they were there when I installed ASP.NET 2.0 on
the Win 2000 server before I upgraded, and now have disappeared), same error
messages in the app log. I did all of the things specified in the KB articles
as well as the stuff recommended in the thread... re-registering asp.net,
setting up special account, setting permissions, ....

The big difference for me is that I put the user account and password in the
machine.config file and it still does not work.

Please do not lecture me about not running IIS on a domain controller. This
is a development environment and it is very tightly secured behind a
firewall. And please, no lame comments from the Linux crowd, OK? We've heard
it all before. When my customers switch to Linux, then maybe I will too.
Until then, I work with what they've got.

Any advice from anybody else out there who has gone through this nightmare
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

bruce barker

the issue you are dealing with is that domain controllers do not have
local accounts and for security, iis, aspnet and sqlserver have been
converted to local limited priv accounts in their installation.

you have to go thru each and convert to a domain account with the
correct permissions. it sounds like you've got sqlserver (its pretty
simple because it will setup the account privs).

next you should do iis, then asp.net. iis should have been a domain
account (you can check the identity under services).

you should probably uninstall iis and asp.net then reinstall them. it
sounds like your iis install is bad. i'd delete the iis metabase file
after the uninstall.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Rbrt

I understand the account security issues, and I have taken the recommended
steps.

Have now unistalled and re-installed both IIS and ASP.NET. Now I am getting
memory exception errors from w3wp.exe when I try to set a web site to use a
particular version of asp.net and asp.net cannot parse a simple application
web.config file. At least I now have application pools again.

I have been developing with Microsoft technology for over 10 years and I
have never seen such a big mess.

As much as I hate to do it, I might just have to burn another support
incident. This really ticks me off because I already had to burn one just to
upgrade my server to 2003. Not because I didn't know what I was doing or
didn't do the required prep work, but because the install software on the DVD
was basically garbage.