    I've heard that Learning Python 3rd Edition is a good choice - can
    anyone give any more advice on this?

    Thanks.

    Edward Cormier, Aug 6, 2008

  2. There's lots of good books to read, including a few online ones. A lot
    of people like "Dive Into Python" (http://diveintopython.org/). If you
    want LOTS of information and some good code examples, Lutz's
    "Programming Python 3rd Ed" is great. Chun ("Core Python Programming")
    has a book that's almost as large, but it's more text than examples.

    If you want just short snippets of code to learn from, try the Python
    Cookbook series or just go to the site those books are based on:
    http://code.activestate.com/recipes/langs/python/

    "Python Power!" and "Beginning Python" are good too with the latter
    having some interesting projects at the end. There are a lot of other
    topical Python books on XML parsing, web programming, Win32, Tkinter,
    wxPython and even SqlAlchemy!

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Aug 6, 2008

  3. Edward Cormier

    Beliavsky Guest

    I have the 2nd edition. Has the 3rd edition been rewritten so that all
    of its code will be valid in Python 3? I'd prefer not to buy Python
    books that will become obsolete.

    Beliavsky, Aug 7, 2008
  4. Edward Cormier

    Samir Guest

    There's lots of good books to read, including a few online ones. A lot
    As a relative newcomer to Python, I found that "Dive Into Python" was
    initially out of my league. It's written assuming that you have a
    good understanding of basic Python concepts. Since I didn't have this
    initial mastery of the language, I didn't find it useful.

    Now that I've been working with the language for awhile, however, I do
    come back and refer to it from time to time.

    Some good online tutorials that I found really helpful include:
    (1) Python Tutorial
    http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html

    (2) A Byte of Python
    http://www.ibiblio.org/swaroopch/byteofpython/read/

    (3) How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
    http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkCSpy/html/index.html

    Incidentally, you can find documentatio for Python v3.0 at the
    official Python site here:
    http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/

    I hope that helps. Good luck!

    Samir

    Samir, Aug 7, 2008
  5. As Wojtek already pointed out, Lutz's 3rd edition is written with 2.x
    in mind. I think it's 2.4 or 2.5, but I forget exactly which. Still,
    most programming books are "obsolete" almost from the day their
    printed. I'm not aware of any Python 3.0 books...

    Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Aug 7, 2008
  6. I'm writing a Python 3 book that will be published as soon as possible
    after Python 3.0 final is released (so hopefully November). It assumes
    programming experience in _some_ language (not necessarily Python 2).

    "Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python
    Language" ISBN 0137129297

    The table of contents and a link to some (out of date) sample text is
    here:
    http://www.qtrac.eu/py3book.html

    Mark Summerfield, Aug 8, 2008
  7. Hi Edward,

    I like "Dive into Python" because it's been written for people who
    know programming with other languages. This could be an advantage or a
    disadvantage, if you feel really uncomfortable reading Python code (if
    you can't imagine absolutly nothing about what it does), my advice is
    to choose another book. Otherwise, "Dive in to Python" is a fantastic
    choice.

    I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself, because this is my
    first post. Best regards to everybody from a spanish Python novice and
    enthusiast :)

    Jaime

    Jaime Irurzun, Aug 8, 2008