CAL and costs

Chris

Hi @all.

I have a question regarding CALs (Client Access Licenses) and ASP.NET.
In some articles I have read, that you need CALs depending on the
number of clients you want to serve (autenthicate). So I am a little
bit confused. Do I really need a CAL for every (authenticated) user in
my ASP.NET application.

What do I "lose" when I do not use (buy) ACLs?

What can I do "without" ACLs?

I hope that this is the right NG to ask.

Thanks for every response.

Eliyahu Goldin

What server product are you referring to? ASP.NET itself doesn't need any
CALs.

Eliyahu

Chris

Sorry, I forgot.

I am referring to IIS and let?s say Windows Server 2003.

But why are you asking, is there a difference?

Thanks.

Eliyahu Goldin

I mean what server product do you think requires CAL? Asp.Net doesn't need
one.

Eliyahu

Christian Schwendtner

Okay, let?s say it in another way.

I am not interested in special in CALs, but I want to know which costs
can appear, when I use ASP.NET (or for the on who uses it). Sometimes
ago I heared about CALs depending on the number of users. So I wanted
to know what things I have to pay attention in connection with
developing ASP.NET applications (hidden costs like "per user"-costs).

So, are there "hidden" costs? When do I have to worry about CALs? What
are the costs for hosting an ASP.NET application (in the sense of
Licenses and so on).

Thanks for any response.

Alejandro Penate-Diaz

here is some info:
To better understand CALs and SSL connection counting, review the following
scenarios:

Christian Schwendtner

Thanks for your (long) response. You really cleared it up for me.

Eliyahu Goldin

Well, I think it does help if you know that other developers never came
across your question. This means that the question is likely irrelevant in a
general case. If you know particular scenarios where the question is
relevant, that is great, no doubt.

Eliyahu