Can someone suggest better resources for learning sqlite3? I wantedto use the Python library but I d

Aseem Bansal

I was writing a Python script for getting the user stats of a website(Specifically codereview.stackexchange). I wanted to store the stats in a database. I found Python3's sqlite3 library. I found that I needed sql commands for using it.

I have tried sql.learncodethehardway but it isn't complete yet. I tired looking on stackoverflow's sql tag also but nothing much there. Can someone suggest me better resources for learning sql/sqlite3?

Joel Goldstick

I was writing a Python script for getting the user stats of a website(Specifically codereview.stackexchange). I wanted to store the stats in a database. I found Python3's sqlite3 library. I found that I needed sql commands for using it.

I have tried sql.learncodethehardway but it isn't complete yet. I tired looking on stackoverflow's sql tag also but nothing much there. Can someone suggest me better resources for learning sql/sqlite3?

Have you tried the sqlite home page at http://www.sqlite.org/

CM

ave tried sql.learncodethehardway but it isn't complete yet. I tired looking on stackoverflow's sql tag also but nothing much there. Can someone suggest me better resources for learning sql/sqlite3?

There are a lot of nice small tutorials out there found by Googling. One resource that you might not find easily, though, and that helped me a while back and I liked is:

http://sqlzoo.net/howto/source/u.cgi/tip241028/sqlite

The thing about that page is, if you go to the main site, sqlzoo.net, it seems that SQLite is no longer one of the options. But if you go through thelink I gave above, you can find the older site that does treat SQLite. Tofind the other command examples, I guess use Google like so:

sqlite zoo INSERT
sqlite zoo UPDATE

and others. I don't know why SQLite was dropped from the Zoo's roster; I really liked that format.

memilanuk

I was writing a Python script for getting the user stats of a
website(Specifically codereview.stackexchange). I wanted to store the
stats in a database. I found Python3's sqlite3 library. I found that
I needed sql commands for using it.

I have tried sql.learncodethehardway but it isn't complete yet. I
tired looking on stackoverflow's sql tag also but nothing much
there. Can someone suggest me better resources for learning
sql/sqlite3?

The same author has some other videos on working with sqlite in general,
sql, etc. that may also prove useful.

Skip Montanaro

Can someone suggest me better resources for learning sql/sqlite3?

The concepts behind the Structured Query Language haven't changed much
since Edgar Codd first developed them in the 1970s. (He received the
Turing Award in 1981 for this work.)

Building and querying databases is very easy to do very badly,
especially if you are new to its concepts. This is a case where a
textbook might be helpful. Since these ideas have been around for a
long while, there are plenty of good books on the subject. I have one
on my desk at work whose name I can't remember off the top of my head.
I still refer to it from time-to-time. If you'd like a reference,
let me know and I'll check on it at work.

Skip

Skip Montanaro

I have one on my desk at work whose name I can't remember off the
top of my head. I still refer to it from time-to-time. If you'd
like a reference, let me know and I'll check on it at work.

While I think of it:

"The Practical SQL Handbook; Using Structured Query Language," by
Bowman, Emerson, and Darnovsky

Mine's the third edition. It even has a Sybase SQL Runtime CDROM
inside the back cover. How quaint. :) There is a fourth edition
available.

Skip

Dennis Lee Bieber

Mine's the third edition. It even has a Sybase SQL Runtime CDROM
inside the back cover. How quaint. :) There is a fourth edition
available.

Well -- it might be useful for transitioning to M$ SQL Server/MSDE...
As I recall, SQL Server started life as a port of Sybase. <G>

Thought Codd did NOT define SQL (which sort of combines relational
calculus with some relational algebra); early relational theory was more a
"view" and "analysis" of database data -- which could possibly be overlaid
on hierarchical and network implementations. SQL was about a decade later,
branched off of the Sequel language. Most modern RDBMs seem to have
reverted to using the logical view as the physical storage <G>

I'm afraid the books on my shelf wouldn't help for SQL...

Yang "Relational Databases", Date "Database Design and Relational
Theory", Maier "The Theory of Relational Databases", and von Halle
"Handbook of Relational Database Design" (and Gio Wiederhold is in storage)

Most of them probably predate the first SQL standard <G>