Create a virtual directory and open ASP pages in web browser

jonny

I followed the instruction below to create a virtual directory. I am
able to open htm pages, but I cannot open ASP pages. Here is the error
I am getting "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".
Do I have to have Windows Server 2003 to open ASP pages in web
browser?

How can I overcome this problem?

Create a virtual directory

1. Open IIS Manager by going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -
Internet Information Services.
In IIS Manager, expand the local computer, expand the Web Sites
folder, right-click the site or folder within which you want to create
the virtual directory, point to New, and then click Virtual
Directory . The Virtual Directory Creation Wizard appears.
2.
Click Next.

3.
In the Alias box, type a name for the virtual directory. (Choose a
short name that is easy to type because the user types this name.)

4.
Click Next.

5. In the Path box, type or browse to the physical directory where
your application resides, and then click Next. For example, if your
application is located in C:\Documents and Settings\johnnelson
\MyWebSites\ReportingSite, you would browse to this directory.
6.
Choose the defaults on the next two pages.

7.
Click Finish.

Guest

I followed the instruction below to create a virtual directory. I am
able to open htm pages, but I cannot open ASP pages. Here is the error
I am getting "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.".

This is the problem in ASP and not in a server configuration. You
should check the code of the page to find the error.

jonny

This is the problem in ASP and not in a server configuration. You
should check the code of the page to find the error.

It is working ok in Visual Web Developer.

Guest

It is working ok in Visual Web Developer.

You might need to reinstall ASP.NET because it seems that IIS has been
installed after .NET. Use ASP.NET IIS Registration Tool to do it (from
command prompt call aspnet_regiis.exe -i)

More info: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k6h9cz8h(VS.80).aspx

But the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an
object." usually means that ASP.NET is running and found an exception,
which is usually because of using an object variable that is null. You
can try to call any other aspx page to see if you have any result

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> In IIS Manager, expand the local computer, expand the Web Sites folder,
!> right-click the site or folder within which you want to create the virtual directory

Substitute "Web Sites folder" with "Default Web Site" folder and everything will work fine.

jonny

re:
!> In IIS Manager, expand the local computer, expand the Web Sites folder,
!> right-click the site or folder within which you want to create the virtual directory

Substitute "Web Sites folder" with "Default Web Site" folder and everything will work fine.

I dont understand. I followed your instructions but do not see how to
Substitute "Web Sites folder" with "Default Web Site" folder?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!>> Substitute "Web Sites folder" with "Default Web Site" folder and everything will work fine.

!> I dont understand. I followed your instructions but do not see how to
!> substitute "Web Sites folder" with "Default Web Site" folder?

Just right-click "Default Web Site" instead of the "Web Sites" folder.

re: