Default values on undriven ports in configuration?

kenm

Hi,

I have a signal which has a default value, but is undriven following a
configuration.
One simulator I am using gives the signal the default value. The
testbench I have relies on this.
A different simulator gives the signal a value of U. This causes my
testbench to fail.
Both are "mainstream" simulators.
I have looked in the LRM, and it is not obvious to me which behaviour
is correct.
I would be very grateful as for any advice on this.

(If replying by email, please get rid of the m after ken otherwise it
will be treated as spam)

Many Thanks,

Ken Morrow

A test case which shows the problem:-

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.all;

entity PARTIAL_DRIVER is
port (
FRED : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0));
end PARTIAL_DRIVER;

architecture TEST of PARTIAL_DRIVER is
begin -- TEST
FRED <= "01010101";
end TEST;

entity DEFAULT_VALUE is
end DEFAULT_VALUE;

library IEEE;
use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.all;

architecture TEST1 of DEFAULT_VALUE is
signal FRED : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);

--DEFAULT_SIGNAL is given a default value:-
signal DEFAULT_SIGNAL : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0) := (others=>'1');
--One simulator retains this default value.
--The other assigns a value of 'U'.

component DRIVER
port (
FRED : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0);
DEFAULT_SIGNAL : out std_logic_vector(7 downto 0));
end component;

begin -- TEST

UUT : DRIVER
port map (
FRED => FRED,
DEFAULT_SIGNAL => DEFAULT_SIGNAL);

end TEST1;

configuration CFG of WORK.DEFAULT_VALUE is
for TEST1
for UUT : DRIVER
use entity work.PARTIAL_DRIVER
port map (