Do any DHTML books cover contemporary DHTML?

Steve

Hi;

I have heard about a few very good books on DHTML, but the most modern
ones seem to have been published in 2002.

Have any _significant_ changes in DHTML or the standard DOM happened
since then or will those "best of the dhtml books" still do the job?

If not, is there a place on the web that documents DHTML, well, in its
latest greatest form?

Steve

Richard Cornford

Steve said:
I have heard about a few very good books on DHTML,

Have you? I have never heard of a book specifically about DHTML that
would qualify as good let alone 'very good'. Things like example
chapters made available on the Internet tend to suggest that they range
from poor to catastrophically bad.
but the most modern ones seem to have been published
in 2002.

So don't expect much coverage of Opera 7+, Safari or the recent
Mozilla/Gecko releases. Though that would not matter much if they
concentrated on the W3C DOM standards as they have not changed in the
intervening years (but they will if Level 3 DOM becomes a
recommendation).
Have any _significant_ changes in DHTML or the standard
DOM happened since then or will those "best of the dhtml
books" still do the job?

No, but some very significant browsers have been released in the
interim, and books have tended to be written in a very browser
specific/limited way.
If not, is there a place on the web that documents DHTML,
well, in its latest greatest form?

You would have to pin down what DHTML means, as it is not an official
term anywhere. If you mean scripted interactions with an HTML browser
DOM, combined with the interactive actions of CSS presentation then the
W3C is the place to look for DOM and CSS standards and the ECMA is the
place to look for the script language specification.

Richard.