Entirely new idea for a webpage

Nikos

Gunnar said:
Nikos wrote:
I learned writing CGI scripts in Perl without having read one single
book on programming. My starting point was badly written CGI scripts and
a few tutorials, and I surfed the web for guidance as soon as I
encountered a problem. Which I of course did for basically every new
step I took...

Thats what i am doing. That and ask others.
So believe me when I say that I know about 'the hard way'. Even if it
was a challenge, sort of - and I like challenges - I now wish that I had
read a book or two, or at least found the excellent recources at
http://learn.perl.org/

Why didn you read the books first but instead did what i now do?

I must admin that i am glad that someone else too thought the way i
think now, because i was feeling weird! :)

Nikos

Mark said:
Nikos wrote:

Are you tryign to send me away? :)

Before starting Perl i had all my webpage implemented in PHP.

I hate it. It was more easy though but it messes pure html with pure php
code in a single filke with the annoying <? & ?> scripts.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Nikos said:
Thats what i am doing. That and ask others.

Why didn you read the books first but instead did what i now do?

First, I did *not* do what you are doing now, i.e. I did *not* keep
asking others for help.

So, *why* did I do it the way I said? I'm not sure, but I believe that
the most honest answer to that question would be: I didn't know better.
Maybe together with the fact that I did it for fun, not for food.

Nikos

Scott said:
But if you read the posting guidelines for this group, you would already
know all this.

Unfortunately the problem is that i dont read much.
For some reason i cant press myself to read.

Chris Mattern

Nikos said:
Unfortunately the problem is that i dont read much.
For some reason i cant press myself to read.

Then I must be blunt. I don't think programming is for you. Programming
well--or even at all--requires reading, reading and then reading some more.

--
Christopher Mattern

"Which one you figure tracked us?"
"The ugly one, sir."
"...Could you be more specific?"

Nikos

Chris said:
Nikos wrote:

Then I must be blunt. I don't think programming is for you. Programming
well--or even at all--requires reading, reading and then reading some more.

I know, but i cant read a lot.
Problem is that i can quit the idea of make a webpage by using Perl as
well. :(

Axel

Nikos said:
Well i think columns names do matter because they have to be
self-explanatory and help user think why they are existing.

No. The user should *not* know the names of the columns or indeed any
details of the implementation.

This has nothing to do with Perl.

Axel

A. Sinan Unur

Nikos said:
Unfortunately the problem is that i dont read much.
For some reason i cant press myself to read.

Well, we can't do it for you.

Just as others cannot eat on your behalf.

The only excuse I can think of for your behavior is that you are an
excitable teenager.

Sinan

Mark Clements

Nikos said:
Unfortunately the problem is that i dont read much.
For some reason i cant press myself to read.
Not a problem Nikos: I can't press myself to help you, since you won't
help yourself. I imagine some, if not most, of the others are in the
same boat.

If you had invested as much energy reading documentation as you have in
continuing this ultimately pointless discussion and ignoring or fighting
against pretty much all the advice you have been given, then you would
already be in a much stronger position. Yes: you may have learnt
something *by yourself*.

I salute your persistence in the face of an overwhelming body of
argument and advice, but it is clearly true that there is one born every
minute. Either you are beyond help, or this has all just been an
elaborate wind-up. Possibly both are true.

Mark

Tad McClellan

Nikos said:
I already bought a book names "Learnign Perl"

I am familiar with that book.

and i read some but
unfortunately i dont have the strenght of reading it all.

It covers the 1st 60% or so of Perl.

Sounds like you do not have the strength to learn Perl then.

Have you considered learning Python instead?

Its 600 pages.

No it isn't, it is half of that.

You are making shit up. Nobody likes a liar.

I know its not the correct way of functioning but this is how i do things.

I know that taking all the money from the cash register at gunpoint
is not the correct way of functioning, but that is how I do things.

(doesn't make it "right", you are abusing me and my peers,
and I loathe you for it.
)

Someone might consider that i am lazy,

but if that was true then i
wouldn't even bother of trying to right the buggy code i right.

You _aren't_ trying to right the buggy code, you are trying to
get others to right it for you.

Do your own work, we already have plenty thank you very much.

What i say does not owner me, but unfortunately its true.

WTF does that mean? I cannot parse that sentence...

Tad McClellan

Nikos said:
Unfortunately the problem is that i dont read much.

Then you are a self-centered individual, which doesn't play
well in a community-type environment such as newsgroups.

The guidelines are a description of how folks should present
their questions here. It is how folks here like it.

If you spit on us while asking for help it will hurt your chances
of getting help.

Please stop spitting on us and follow the guidelines like
everyone else does, you are not "special" or exempt.

For some reason i cant press myself to read.

Then go away and don't come back.

Eric Schwartz

Nikos said:
I know, but i cant read a lot.
Problem is that i can quit the idea of make a webpage by using Perl as
well. :(

At this point, I think it's best if you do so.

-=Eric

darkon

J. Gleixner said:
P.S. I don't want to add to your learning curve, however IMHO,
based on what you said you're trying to do and your nascent
programming ability, you may want to use PHP instead.
http://www.php.net/ There's plenty of documentation and a
newsgroup specifically for PHP. nudge..nudge..

Heh. Nice try. Dirty trick on the PHP folks, though.

peter pilsl

Nikos said:
Unfortunately the problem is that i dont read much.
For some reason i cant press myself to read.

At least you can read all the answers to your posts and maybe you even
think its fun what you are doing here. I just came to the conclusion
that you are just another troll, trying to steal our time.
Regarding me : You succeeded a bit and at least I've made your life a
bit funnier. Looks like you need it ;)

best,
peter

Nikos

peter said:
At least you can read all the answers to your posts and maybe you even
think its fun what you are doing here. I just came to the conclusion
that you are just another troll, trying to steal our time.
Regarding me : You succeeded a bit and at least I've made your life a
bit funnier. Looks like you need it ;)

I needed it but please do not consider me as a troll.

All i needed is some help because i cant work things out on my own.

peter pilsl

Nikos said:
I needed it but please do not consider me as a troll.

All i needed is some help because i cant work things out on my own.

All trolls need it. So do you. It has to do with a certain view of
themselfes, I guess.
If you would need help you would ask perl-questions. Instead you repeat
"please help, I cant do it and I dont want to read anything about it,
so please help".

I mean: considering that its quite obvious that you are
* even more insane than the average rest of us
* a troll

So lets assume the best and just lets call you a troll :)

I'll answer again, when you ask a real perl-question and I'll still be
glad to help you then. See you then, my friend.

peter