Entirely new idea for a webpage

Nikos

Hello and Good Morning,

I'll try to be as exact as possibl to what iam trying to do:

Today i decided to change entirely my index.pl page and template and to
create a new one.
I will no longer presentate religious scripts from my webpage but i
think its a good idea to create a webpage
that will show up a list of movies that i do have from the current drop
down menu that i already have or better just
tweak the already games.pl script to a movies.pl script that would
presentate the movies as it now have presentated the
games.

Users have to signup first and their username and password will be
stored in a mysql users database and then everytime
they visit my webpage they would have to log in first and after that
they are ready to view and select movies from
a dropdown menu and add them to a basket or something.

Then they will hit "done" and their selection would be stored in a mysql
order database that will have some connection
to the users database table.

Then if they want to see what they ordered they could be able to press a
"show what i ordered" button and then that will
be presenatte to them. I currently have a show.pl so that too is almost
ready except that its a cgi one and needs
converting to a template.

Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
created scripts to implement that.
Iam trying too but unfortunately iam no expert.

Thank you.

ps. iam trying now to chnage the column names from games and otehr
database tables to more appropriate ones.

Do you agree with those names of the database tables and the columns in
it to what i want to do? Dis i pick them correctly?

I tried the names to be as much self-explanatory as i can:

$dbh->do( "CREATE DATABASE user (username text, password text, name
text, surname text, address text, phone text, mail text)" );
$dbh->do( "CREATE DATABASE userselect (username text auto_increment
primary key, moviename text" ) or die $!;
$dbh->do( "CREATE DATABASE userdesire (title text, remark text, mail
text, date text, host text )" ) or die $!;
$dbh->do( "CREATE DATABASE movies (moviename text, moviedesc text,
moviecount int )" ) or die $!;

Scott Bryce

Nikos said:
Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
created scripts to implement that.

No. That isn't what this newsgroup is about.

Do you agree with those names of the database tables and the columns in
it to what i want to do? Dis i pick them correctly?

This newsgroup is not about choosing field names for your databases.

Nikos

Scott said:
No. That isn't what this newsgroup is about.

This newsgroup is not about choosing field names for your databases.

I will need some guidelines, i have already started it but i dont knwo
how to proceed.

Well i think columns names do matter because they have to be
self-explanatory and help user think why they are existing.

I don't know how to start to what i have asked, can you please help me out!
For starters i must have a button that a user will click in order to
sign up and then login with user name and password.

I just dont know hot to write it neither i can afforf paying someone
else to write it. I can though try step by step something.

ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour? Oh
boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.

Mark Clements

Nikos said:
I will need some guidelines, i have already started it but i dont knwo
how to proceed.

Again, you are abusing the goodwill of the readers of this newsgroup.
Can you not see that you are being exceptionally rude? How many people
have to point out to you that you are behaving badly before you realise?
Are you actually reading any of this?
I just dont know hot to write it neither i can afforf paying someone
else to write it. I can though try step by step something.
So:

you don't know how to do something
you have had many, many, perfectly adequate explanations of what needs
to be done and how to modify your approach
you want someone else to do it all for you
you want them to do it for free

There is clearly something I'm not getting here.

ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour? Oh
boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.
In which universe does EUR represent US dollars? EUR, funnily enough,
means Euros, thus chosen because it is a nice round number (at the
moment) in Sterling, if you know what that is. That isn't a typical rate
(I wish): it is a special rate for *you*. If you don't like my rates,
then I'm sure others here will be willing to give you alternative rates
and express them in currency units you understand.

I need to walk away.

Mark

Nikos

Mark said:
you want someone else to do it all for you

No i'll do it but when i stuck i will ask for help.
At this moment i dont knwo how to evne start!

then I'm sure others here will be willing to give you alternative rates
and express them in currency units you understand.

I do understand Euros since i use them. I though it your first psot
asking for payment you were talking dollars.

Actually 1 Euro ~= 1 dollar

Tad McClellan

Nikos said:
I will need some guidelines,

What would be the point of that?

You have demonstrated time and time again that you won't follow
good advice.

Well i think columns names do matter

You seem to have reading comprehension issues as well.

Read what Scott wrote. Did he say that the column names do not matter?

No, he said that choosing the column names are OFF TOPIC here, as they
have no relationship to Perl (the topic of this newsgroup).

Nobody here gives a rat's ass about what column names you choose,
because that has nothing to do with Perl.

I don't know how to start to what i have asked,

Yes you do...

For starters i must have a button that a user will click in order to
sign up and then login with user name and password.

.... start with a login webpage.

(you can get all of that done with ZERO Perl code, so making the
login webpage is off-topic here too.
)

I can though try step by step something.

You have proven otherwise many many times already. What has changed?

ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour?

Where did you get that figure?

Oh
boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.

Most jobs that require extensive training pay well, that is no surprise.

Mark Clements

Tad said:
Where did you get that figure?

Me, I'm afraid, in another thread, which Nikos managed to reply to in
this one. It was a special "sickener" price for him, except I clearly
quoted in Euros and he doesn't appear to be able to read.

Sinan has attempted to explain that USD and EUR are *not* at parity but
I doubt if Nikos will bother reading that.

I should know better than to introduce another potential source of
confusion.

Mark

Scott Bryce

Nikos said:
Well i think columns names do matter because they have to be
self-explanatory and help user think why they are existing.

Perhaps, but that is not a Perl issue.
For starters i must have a button that a user will click in order to
sign up and then login with user name and password.

Creating buttons is also not a Perl issue. Securing a web site is
probably too complex for your skill level.

ps. Hiring a Perl programmer write something costs 147$ per hour? Oh
boy, this job is a goldmine if someone knows how to program.

I'm going broke. But I'm not one of the better programmers here.

peter pilsl

Nikos said:
Will you please help me make the appropriate tweaks to the already
created scripts to implement that.
Iam trying too but unfortunately iam no expert.

you should start by buying a book "how to learn perl" or "how to learn
CGI". There will be many example-programs and you can learn
step-by-step. This is what books are for.
Then you will start changing the example-scripts and beeing able to make
your own scripts and then you'll have questions like "how do I lowercase
utf8-encoded text" and then this newsgroup will be looking forward to
help you. This is what the newsgroup is for. To answer specific questions.
But this newsgroup cannot help you when you dont have a clue about perl
and cgi.
And yes: databasenames are very important, but I'm sure you'll figure
out the correct names for yourself.

best,
peter

Nikos

Scott said:
Creating buttons is also not a Perl issue. Securing a web site is
probably too complex for your skill level.

Yes, it is. Iam almost an absolute beginner.
I'm going broke. But I'm not one of the better programmers here.

I can pay you 10 Euros via neteller if you make the script.
Its not much but:

a) I cant afford to pay money.

b) It would be something than helping me with no cost.

What do you say?

peter pilsl

Nikos said:
I can pay you 10 Euros via neteller if you make the script.
Its not much but:

a) I cant afford to pay money.

b) It would be something than helping me with no cost.

What do you say?

Add another 10€, so you get 20€ and buy a book and take some time to
read and learn. Believe me: it pays off !!

A. Sinan Unur

Nikos said:
Yes, it is. Iam almost an absolute beginner.

I can pay you 10 Euros via neteller if you make the script.
Its not much but:

a) I cant afford to pay money.

b) It would be something than helping me with no cost.

What do you say?

*I* think your time is better spent studying a little. Break down
whatever you are trying to do in to bite-sized pieces, and figure out how
to accomplish what is needed for each piece.

After all, that is why programming is satisfying: Instant feedback when
you screw up, and instant gratification when you succeed. You are not
going to get gratification if you continue to insist on not following
others' advice.

Go to groups.google.com, find your first post, and re-read the answers.

Sinan.

J. Gleixner

Nikos said:
I just dont know hot to write it neither i can afforf paying someone
else to write it. I can though try step by step something.

Well, then you're in a bit of a quandary. You want to build a shed,
just like your neighbor's, but you don't even have a hammer & nails nor
do you know how, and you're unable to hire someone who has all the tools
and knows exactly what to do. Basically, you have two options:

o Don't build it.
o Learn how to build it yourself.

There are thousands of sites on the Internet, along with a lot of books,
to help you learn how to do whatever you want. This newsgroup is not the
best place to teach you step by step, how to do something. Use search
engines, read articles, tutorials, code, etc. and learn it yourself, one
step at a time. The initiative is on you.

P.S. I don't want to add to your learning curve, however IMHO, based on
what you said you're trying to do and your nascent programming ability,
you may want to use PHP instead. http://www.php.net/ There's plenty of
documentation and a newsgroup specifically for PHP. nudge..nudge..

Nikos

peter said:
you should start by buying a book "how to learn perl" or "how to learn
CGI". There will be many example-programs and you can learn
step-by-step. This is what books are for.
Then you will start changing the example-scripts and beeing able to make
your own scripts and then you'll have questions like "how do I lowercase
utf8-encoded text" and then this newsgroup will be looking forward to
help you. This is what the newsgroup is for. To answer specific questions.
But this newsgroup cannot help you when you dont have a clue about perl
and cgi.
And yes: databasenames are very important, but I'm sure you'll figure
out the correct names for yourself.

Yes Peter, you are absolutely right.
This is the proper way of learning.

I already bought a book names "Learnign Perl" and i read some but
unfortunately i dont have the strenght of reading it all. Its 600 pages.

This is odd. I want to learn & use Perl but i can put much effort on
reading.

I'am more like trying practically something(typing code) and when i get
stuck then ask.
I know its not the correct way of functioning but this is how i do things.

Someone might consider that i am lazy, but if that was true then i
wouldn't even bother of trying to right the buggy code i right.

What i say does not owner me, but unfortunately its true.

peter pilsl

I'am more like trying practically something(typing code) and when i get
stuck then ask.

Not this is not what you do. You ask "how do I program a webpage?". you
dont ask "why is the parameter delivered by cgi.pm flawed?"
What i say does not owner me, but unfortunately its true.

I would say, the only person that really should worry about this, is
yourself :) In fact: I dont care how you learn perl. I'm willing to
assist you if you have problems, but I'm not willing to learn you perl.
Nobody here is, so : read that book or dont learn perl ;) its as easy as
that and its completely up to you ;)

best,
peter

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Nikos said:
I already bought a book names "Learnign Perl" and i read some but
unfortunately i dont have the strenght of reading it all. Its 600 pages.

This is odd. I want to learn & use Perl but i can put much effort on
reading.

I'am more like trying practically something(typing code)

You seem to prefer 'the hard way'.

I learned writing CGI scripts in Perl without having read one single
book on programming. My starting point was badly written CGI scripts and
a few tutorials, and I surfed the web for guidance as soon as I
encountered a problem. Which I of course did for basically every new
step I took...

So believe me when I say that I know about 'the hard way'. Even if it
was a challenge, sort of - and I like challenges - I now wish that I had
read a book or two, or at least found the excellent recources at
http://learn.perl.org/
and when i get stuck then ask.
I know its not the correct way of functioning but this is how i do things.

Ask? How *you* do things?? But.. To do things like that, you need a
personal tutor, right? And forums like this group will never serve that
purpose.
Someone might consider that i am lazy,

I for one am not sure.

Doing it 'the hard way' does certainly not make you lazy.

Expecting people to be your personal tutor for free does.

Nikos

J. Gleixner said:
Nikos wrote:
There are thousands of sites on the Internet, along with a lot of books,
to help you learn how to do whatever you want. This newsgroup is not the
best place to teach you step by step, how to do something. Use search
engines, read articles, tutorials, code, etc. and learn it yourself, one
step at a time. The initiative is on you.

So, do you mind if i ask simple questions when i get stuck on something?

Mark Clements

Nikos said:
I already bought a book names "Learnign Perl" and i read some but
unfortunately i dont have the strenght of reading it all. Its 600 pages.
The O'Reilly one is 330 pages, according to Amazon. But this is
academic. In order to learn, you need to read. I don't really see how
you can disagree with this. I understand that English may not be your
first language, but quite often you'll find that technical documentation
is available in little else. Even speakers of widely-spoken European
languages like French and Spanish have to cope with this.
This is odd. I want to learn & use Perl but i can put much effort on
reading.

I'am more like trying practically something(typing code) and when i get
stuck then ask.
Oh - you're very good at getting stuck, and at asking. Unfortunately,
asking only works if one listens to the responses. You don't. *Ever*.
Someone might consider that i am lazy, but if that was true then i
wouldn't even bother of trying to right the buggy code i right.
I won't comment on your laziness, but would like to reiterate the
suggestion of PHP as I was thinking along the same lines as well. Go on:
you know you want to. Look, here's the newsgroup: comp.lang.php. Even
better (for you), how about ASP? Microsoft have a wealth of
documentation on .NET for you to get your teeth into. You'll love
reading it, and they have their own newsgroups: the server is
msnews.microsoft.com.

Mark

Scott Bryce

Nikos said:
So, do you mind if i ask simple questions when i get stuck on
something?

Answering questions when people get stuck is what this NG is here for,
provided that the question pertains to coding in Perl, and not general,
"How do I build a web site?" type questions. Keep in mind that
many--probably most--of the regulars here use Perl for things other than
CGI, so they aren't horribly interested in your web design problems.

Simple questions are probably answered in the FAQ, which we expect you
to read. We also expect you to do some digging on your own, such as
looking up the answer in books or on the web or in the docs.

We also expect you to post a short, but complete program that
demonstrates the problem you are having. Strip out everything that does
not pertain to the question you want answered. Tell us what you tried,
what you expected it to do and what it did that you didn't expect.

But if you read the posting guidelines for this group, you would already
know all this.