Entirely new idea for a webpage

Mark Clements

Nikos said:
I needed it but please do not consider me as a troll.

All i needed is some help because i cant work things out on my own.

Clearly. Your (not infrequent) postings to alt.hacker are: amusing.
Also amusing is your occasional change of nickname er, Nikos.

Nikos

peter said:
So lets assume the best and just lets call you a troll :)

I'll answer again, when you ask a real perl-question and I'll still be
glad to help you then. See you then, my friend.

Ok Peter, fair enouph.
What i cant argue with is that i dont deserve any help if i didnt try first.

Nikos

Mark said:
Clearly. Your (not infrequent) postings to alt.hacker are: amusing.
Also amusing is your occasional change of nickname er, Nikos.

My real name is Nikos and iam from Thessaloniki, Greece.

Henry Law

typo again, i meant honor me, not owner me

Ah, I get it. It's a Turing-test-bot. A pretty good one too, we
should all acknowledge.

But in case not here's my attempt to get Nikos to see what he's doing
wrong:

* What you're trying to do is complex; people train for months to
gather up the skill to do this - and that's when they're paying for
formal courses. If you want to learn to do it too, through your own
efforts, then it's going to take a LONG time and a LOT of work.
If you're not prepared to read at least one book end-to-end, forget
it.

* Don't try to do it all at once. Start small and simple. You'll get
stuck, then you read up, search and possibly post here on that one
place where you're stuck. Nothing else. Someone helps you find
the answer. You READ what that person says. You REMEMBER it. Your
skill has improved a little bit. Then you go on to the next stage,
making your project a little more complicated, get stuck, repeat.
Eventually you remember lots of stuff, it gets easier to use it:
Pow! You're a Perl programmer. You can help other people along the
way too: that's very instructive.

* Try not to see this project of yours as an end in itself: see it
more as a means of learning Perl. If you finish it along the lines
set out above you'll almost certainly want to re-do it, because the
stuff you wrote early on will offend you by the time you're at the
end.

* This group will help YOU to LEARN HOW to do things. It won't
DO things for you, and it won't necessarily even tell you HOW TO
do them. That is the best way of leveraging the (colossal) skill
of the people who frequent this group. If you can't understand
that, or won't accept it, then go someplace else. If you can find
one.

Nikos

Henry said:
[...]

I agree with you 100%.
I cant read much, but ill give it a try.

For starters i will try to make a simple login cgi script that i will be
needing in my project and when i get suck on soemthing specific ill ask
then.

But the damn mysql aint wanna work.....

Tad McClellan

Nikos said:
Well i am not.
The book i have is Perl "How to Program by Deitel" not learnign Perl.

Then why did you say that it was "Learning Perl"?

Nobody likes a liar.

Tad McClellan

Nikos said:
I needed it but please do not consider me as a troll.

If you stop acting like a troll, then people will stop regarding
you as a troll.

If you continue acting like a troll, then you get what trolls get.

Nikos

Tad said:
Then why did you say that it was "Learning Perl"?

Nobody likes a liar.

That was simply i mistell.
I was thinkign of bying that book and accidentally i typed it instead of
the one i have.

and "Iam not a liar". Please watch your language.

Scott Bryce

Nikos said:
For starters i will try to make a simple login cgi script

Log in scripts aren't simple. You might want to try something else for
starters.
But the damn mysql aint wanna work.....

That is a problem for another newsgroup.

Jürgen Exner

Nikos said:
So, do you mind if i ask simple questions when i get stuck on
something?

No, not at all.
That is, if you are following the posting guidelines that are posted here
very frequently.
Some rules to remember:
- ask about Perl, not about your Web design, not about your database schema,
not about your cooking book archive.
- make a serious attempt to find the answer in the existing documentation
(man pages and FAQ) and demonstrate that you did so.
- post a minimal, self-contained sample program that exposes your problem
together with an explanation of what the program is supposed to do versus
what you observe.

Then people are usually glad to answer any question, even if it is simple.

jue