First release of Shed Skin, a Python-to-C++ compiler.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Dufour, Sep 11, 2005.

  1. Mark Dufour

    Mark Dufour Guest

    After nine months of hard work, I am proud to introduce my baby to the
    I agree with anyone that a JIT compiler that supports the full Python
    semantics (which I thought to be the goal of PyPy?) is probably the
    best long term solution. It will really be a lot of work, however, and
    in general probably result in slower code than what my compiler
    produces, when it works (because of run-time overheads, lack of global
    optimizations.)

    Considering that Shed Skin does what it does in only about 7500 lines
    (5500 without C++ implementations of builtins), and is extreme in both
    the requirements it puts on the compiler and in the speed of the
    resulting code, for me personally it is just a very appealing
    alternative to investigate (I like extremes :)) It should work for
    many programs of the type I usually write (algorithms, compilers..),
    so it's also a case of scratching my own itch.

    thanks!
    mark.

    Mark Dufour, Sep 11, 2005