    a <= b when rising_edge(clock);

    Thanks,
    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Jun 22, 2012

  2. Thomas Heller

    goouse99 Guest

    Am Freitag, 22. Juni 2012 08:00:48 UTC+2 schrieb Thomas Heller:
    Hi Thomas.
    We live in a time where reliable synthesis tools are available without costs.
    Why didn't you just try it?

    To save you the two minutes to test it I tell you the result observed with ISE14 XST:
    Yes, it perfectly synthesizes a nice DFF.
    No messages like "not a synchronous description" appeared.

    But tell us one thing:
    Are you really coding each simple FF separately?
    What about Resets?
    What about ClockEnables?
    What about really complex algorithms that could be done within a single synchronous process?

    Will the verbosity and readability of the code remain?

    I truly appreciate the simpleness of the example and was really surprised that it worked. But I doubt that it has a great practical use, because it really only holds for this simple FF type.

    Have a nice synthesis
    Eilert

    goouse99, Jun 22, 2012

  3. Am 22.06.2012 08:39, schrieb :
    I did try it, and it worked in practice. However, I wanted to make sure
    that my understanding is correct and that the two examples are really
    describing exactly the same thing.
    I will probably use it for throw-away debug code, where I need to bring
    out internal signals to the outside in cases where I need pipelining
    to meet the timing constraints.

    Anyway, thanks for the answer and the comments.
    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Jun 22, 2012
  4. Thomas Heller

    HT-Lab Guest

    There is an interesting VHDL20xx proposal which takes this a step further,

    http://www.eda.org/twiki/bin/view.cgi/P1076/ClockedShorthand

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Jun 22, 2012
  5. Thomas Heller

    Andy Guest

    q <= '0' when reset = '1'
    else d when rising_edge(clk) and clk_enable = '1';
    True, when you have a complex algorithm and especially multiple
    registers, a process wins hands-down.

    But when all you need is a simple register (especially in an otherwise
    structural architecture), this works fine with far less code, without
    giving up readability.

    One side effect: the resulting process from the concurrent assignment
    includes d and clk_enable in the sensitivity list. If you code a lot
    of them, it will slow down your simulation (compared to an
    architecture consisting solely of synchronous processes).

    Andy

    Andy, Jun 24, 2012