    Well, I must say
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not
    sure about the the universe...!

    Y2A, Oct 1, 2007

  2. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Lew Guest

    Lew, Oct 1, 2007

  3. Andrew Thompson, Oct 1, 2007
  4. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Y2A Guest

    I knew that this quote is from Sir Albert Einstein [;)]

    Y2A, Oct 1, 2007
  5. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Lew Guest

    Ol' Al was never knighted.

    Lew, Oct 1, 2007
  6. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Y2A Guest

    Lew:

    Its a shame, he wasn't. After all he ruined lives of many of my class
    mates in Physics.

    Y2A, Oct 1, 2007
  7. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    nebulous99 Guest

    If it were only "a terse tone" it might not be such an issue, and the
    same if it were universal. But it's mostly just you and Andrew
    Thompson, and it is probably just laziness rather than anything
    nobler, and lastly, it goes considerably further than just "a terse
    tone", often to the point of actually ordering the OP about with
    imperative phrasing.
    A distinction can be made here that you are not making, namely between
    the advice the OP specifically requests and unsolicited advice on
    subjects ranging from tangential to completely irrelevant/orthogonal.
    If someone posts code and asks why X isn't working, an answer
    explaining why X isn't working is obviously welcome. It's very likely
    pointing out a possibly-unnoticed bug Y in the same code would be
    quite welcome too. Criticizing their English, which might not be their
    main language, is another matter entirely; if you feel the need to
    offer unsolicited advice in that area, perhaps it should be phrased
    more diplomatically than the solicited advice at least?

    nebulous99, Oct 2, 2007