Forums

Y2A

You have every right to use non-standard English, in particular
"wanna", but that choice has consequences. Since there is no
advantage in doing so, and a number of negative consequences, it seems
logical to presume when someone does that they are unaware of the
consequences. When someone warns them, that is an act of compassion,
not an act of coercion.

When someone persists in using the offending word, emphasising it as
you did, the presumption is the intent was to deliberately annoy
others. The natural reaction to that is to avoid someone who enjoys
doing that. Most life naturally avoids pain. The consequence to the
taunter then is having his questions ignored.

Deliberately using a word like "wanna" is cutting off your nose to
spite your face.

It does not make sense to deliberately annoy people you are a asking
favours of.

Ha ha ha ha ha :D
Great going.. where we started and where are we now..
I thought of quitting but I an not quitting anymore...!
Well, I must say
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not
sure about the the universe...!

nebulous99

When people put forward advice in this particular venue, they don't
necessarily speak in a bad tone just because they stick with bald facts.
Perhaps not everyone is equally comfortable with a keyboard, or they
themselves are not as familiar with English as you seem to think. Regardless
of the reason, it is common for advice here to be terse, and to focus very
narrowly on the action under discussion. If in doing this they fail to coddle
your sensitivities, that is unfortunate but not truly cause for you to complain.

If it were only "a terse tone" it might not be such an issue, and the
same if it were universal. But it's mostly just you and Andrew
Thompson, and it is probably just laziness rather than anything
nobler, and lastly, it goes considerably further than just "a terse
tone", often to the point of actually ordering the OP about with
imperative phrasing.
If you are not happy to receive advice here where mostly people come to ask
for advice, perhaps you are in the wrong venue.

A distinction can be made here that you are not making, namely between
the advice the OP specifically requests and unsolicited advice on
subjects ranging from tangential to completely irrelevant/orthogonal.
If someone posts code and asks why X isn't working, an answer
explaining why X isn't working is obviously welcome. It's very likely
pointing out a possibly-unnoticed bug Y in the same code would be
quite welcome too. Criticizing their English, which might not be their
main language, is another matter entirely; if you feel the need to
offer unsolicited advice in that area, perhaps it should be phrased
more diplomatically than the solicited advice at least?