help starting a project

hilz

Hi
I am sure many of you has been in this situation and I hope someone can
help.
I want to start a small java project and collaborate with couple of
friends of mine on it.
I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a cvs server
because of maintainance, backup hassle, and ofcourse, limited resources.

Are there any free services out there that provide cvs access? something
similar to sourceforge, but without going through the 1000 steps to
register, and without going through an approval stage. All what i want
is to be able to create a test project to play around with, and later if
it becomes a real project with potential to grow, i will move it to
sourceforge.

thanks for any input.

Frank

hilz said:
Hi
I am sure many of you has been in this situation and I hope someone can
help.
I want to start a small java project and collaborate with couple of
friends of mine on it.
I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a cvs server
because of maintainance, backup hassle, and ofcourse, limited resources.

Are there any free services out there that provide cvs access? something
similar to sourceforge, but without going through the 1000 steps to
register, and without going through an approval stage. All what i want
is to be able to create a test project to play around with, and later if
it becomes a real project with potential to grow, i will move it to
sourceforge.

thanks for any input.

https://opensvn.csie.org/

hilz

Frank said:

Thanks for the suggestion Frank.
I registered a project, and it has not sent me the registration email
yet ( after waiting about an hour and a half)

and to tell you the truth, it does not look too professional.
Even thought i am just creating a test project, but i would still like
it to be a little more reliable than what this one look.

any other suggestions?

Rhino

hilz said:
Hi
I am sure many of you has been in this situation and I hope someone can
help.
I want to start a small java project and collaborate with couple of
friends of mine on it.
I don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a cvs server
because of maintainance, backup hassle, and ofcourse, limited resources.

Are there any free services out there that provide cvs access? something
similar to sourceforge, but without going through the 1000 steps to
register, and without going through an approval stage. All what i want
is to be able to create a test project to play around with, and later if
it becomes a real project with potential to grow, i will move it to
sourceforge.

thanks for any input.
I am an Eclipse user and I toyed briefly with the Subversion Eclipse plugin
for doing code management. I didn't get far enough with it to get fluent
with it before I got sidetracked but I hope to get back to it sometime soon.
That means I can't really answer any questions about its capabilities from
my own experience. But I do recall that it lets you use a local hard drive
as a code repository, which is fine for my purposes since I am developing
alone and just planning to use it for code archiving, not code sharing.
However, for all I know, it may enable code sharing amongst different
developers. You may want to ask on the Subversion mailing list or look in
their documentation. This link - http://subversion.tigris.org/ - will get
you to the home page and there is a link to their mailing lists on that
page.

I hope I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase :)

Rhino

Chris Smith

hilz said:
Are there any free services out there that provide cvs access? something
similar to sourceforge, but without going through the 1000 steps to
register, and without going through an approval stage. All what i want
is to be able to create a test project to play around with, and later if
it becomes a real project with potential to grow, i will move it to
sourceforge.

So you want:

1. Something for free.
2. Not to have to bother showing anyone that it would be worthwhile.
3. The ability to insist on a high level of quality.

Yep, sounds like you're definitely in "do it yourself" territory. If
you have a spare box somewhere to install UNIX, most distributions will
make it a cinch to set up a CVS repository.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

hilz

Chris said:
So you want:

1. Something for free.
2. Not to have to bother showing anyone that it would be worthwhile.
3. The ability to insist on a high level of quality.

Yep, sounds like you're definitely in "do it yourself" territory. If
you have a spare box somewhere to install UNIX, most distributions will
make it a cinch to set up a CVS repository.

1. 2. and 3. are accurate. and your suggestion is exactly what i am
trying to avoid.

i am sure something like what i need exists somewhere....

Scott Ellsworth

and to tell you the truth, it does not look too professional.
Even thought i am just creating a test project, but i would still like
it to be a little more reliable than what this one look.

Up front, you are asking for someone to give you cvs space without any
approval, knowing that you intend to move it somewhere else if the
project works out. Ask yourself what would convince someone to provide
professional levels of effort. Once you know that, you can probably
figure out who will give it to you.

By not being willing to pay, and not being willing to put up with them
checking out your project and you to see if it advances their own
agenda, you have cut out pretty much the major reasons why someone might
do this. You need to figure out a third reason that would justify the
effort on their part.

Try to think of what you are offering them - the subversion guys offer
free space so that they can see subversion get used, while java.net
offers space to see better java projects. What would _your_ project
offer a prospective space provider to make up for the effort?

Scott

Roedy Green

If
you have a spare box somewhere to install UNIX, most distributions will
make it a cinch to set up a CVS repository.

IIRC there is a version of the server you can run on Windows, so you
would not even need a separate machine. Make sure you back up the
repository frequently.

Roedy Green

i am sure something like what i need exists somewhere....

Why do you believe that? TANSTAFL There ain't no such thing as a free
lunch. There will have to be some catch.

What are you prepared to offer in return?

Patrick May

Chris Smith said:
Yep, sounds like you're definitely in "do it yourself" territory.
If you have a spare box somewhere to install UNIX, most
distributions will make it a cinch to set up a CVS repository.

You may also want to consider Subversion as an alternative to
CVS. See http://subversion.tigris.org for details.

Regards,

Patrick