HELP! TabStrip with Multipage is not working!

Phin

Hi,

I have spent some time trying to get the tabstrip and multipage to work
(from the IE web controls).

I read the article from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/webcontrols/overview/tabstrip.asp

On the bottom of the above URL there is a button that says "show me"
where you can see the tabstip and multipage in action. On the "show me"
page there is a button to view the source:
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/webcontrols/tab/tab2.aspx

I have the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll referenced in my project
and when the pages renders all the info for all the tabs is on one page
and the tabs are just text!

I have tried many differnet examples (and saw similar posts with no

I would appreciate any help in getting this to work.

Please post!

Thank you,

Phin

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

I have posted a similar solution here before..
Phin the problem here is that u have referenced the control but u
haven't installed the scripts correctly that RUN the tabstrip,treeview
etc..
Try this:-
To build the IE Web Controls:

1. Make sure you have installed the .NET Framework SDK v1.0 or v1.1
2. Run Build.bat, which will create a build folder in this directory.
The build folder contains Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll and a
Runtime directory of supporting files.

To run the IE Web Controls:

1. Copy the contents of the Runtime directory to the webctrl_client\1_0
directory under your top-level site directory. For example, if your
site root is c:\Inetpub\wwwroot, type this at the command prompt:

xcopy /s /i .\build\Runtime c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0 /y

This will create the following directory structure under the site:

/webctrl_client/1_0
MultiPage.htc
TabStrip.htc
toolbar.htc
treeview.htc
webservice.htc
webserviced.htc
[images]
[treeimages]

2. Create a new web application in IIS and copy the contents of the
samples directory to this application directory. For example:

xcopy /s /i .\samples c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\sampleapp /y

3. Create a /bin subdirectory for the application and copy the file
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll to this directory.

The contents of the application will be as follows:

/sampleapp
multipage.aspx
state_city.xml
tabstrip.aspx
toolbar.aspx
treeview.aspx
treeview_bound.aspx
/bin
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll

4. Request the sample pages from your Internet Explorer web browser, for
example: http://localhost/sampleapp/multipage.aspx

For additional documentation and samples visit:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/webcontrols/
webcontrols_entry.asp

Hope this helps
Patrick

Phin

Patrick,

I thought I followed those steps but let me try it again.

Thank you!

Phin
[...]

Ken Varn

Have you assigned your MultiPage control ID to the TargetID of the tabstrip
control?

--
-----------------------------------
Ken Varn

EmailID = varnk
Domain = Diebold.com

Phin

Ken,

Thank you for your post. I am using the example from
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/webcontrols/tab/tab2.aspx

I installed everything according to the IE web controls doc.
I repasted the example into place and I am getting the following error:

"The located assembly's manifest definition with name
'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' does not match the assembly reference."

I noticed that if I removed the public token section on page it doesn't
error but all the content on the page is on the one page (it's flat
with not tabs) like in my original post.

So, I think it may be since I don't have the proper public token.

This is how the top of the page looks like (with the public token) just
like in the example:

<%@ Import Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="mytab"
Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"
Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, Version=1.0.2.226,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken= 31bf3856ad364e35" %>

How do I figure out what the public token is for the
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls dll? Or is there something else that I am
missing?

Can somebody send me a sample app that implements the sample from
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/webcontrols/tab/tab2.aspx ?

I apprecaite your help!

Thanks,

Phin

Phin

Another thing that I noticed is that in design view in VS.NET the page
looks like it should, with the tabs but when I run it without a public
token the page is flat (all of the content is on one page) with no
tabs. But if I use the PublicKeyToken like in the examples, I get the
"The located assembly's manifest definition with name
'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' does not match the assembly reference"

I looked at many posts but I didn't find a solution that worked.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Phin

Phin

OK. I figured it out. I am going to post everything that I did so the
next person can get up and running that much faster.

After I installed the IE web controls, according to a post I updated
the build.bat file to look like this (since the
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll wasn't being created):

@if "%_echo%"=="" echo off

if not exist build mkdir build

C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\csc.exe
/out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp
xcopy src\Runtime build\Runtime /E /Y /I /Q

Then I followed the instructions exactly and tried to access the app
via a browser. But I received the following error: "File or assembly
name Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, or one of its dependencies, was not
found"

So, I went into VS.NET created a new asp.net project added my web forms
and add reference to the dll and it worked!

Thank you for all your help!

Phin

Phin

One more thing. If you want to move the location of your webctrl_client
folder add the following to the top of your web.config file under
<configuration> (and update the location of your webctrl_client:

<configSections>
<section name="MicrosoftWebControls"
type="System.Configuration.NameValueFileSectionHandler, System,
Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

</configSections>

<MicrosoftWebControls>
<add key="CommonFiles"
value="http://localhost/Your_APP/webctrl_client/1_0/" />
</MicrosoftWebControls>

Good luck!

Phin

Phin

You make the above even more flexible by replacing the
<MicrosoftWebControls> with:

<MicrosoftWebControls>
<add key="CommonFiles" value="webctrl_client/1_0/" />
</MicrosoftWebControls>

Phin

Phin

For the sake of posting a complete solution, remember to change the
webctrl_client location in any web page that refers to it.

Phin