How to append DropDownList value to button's PostBackUrl?

rob

Hi,

I have a button whose PostBackUrl should include a value from a dropdownlist
on the same page. Should I do that in the button's on click event? What
I'd like to end up with is a post back url that looks like the following:
PostBackUrl=somepage.aspx?param=<value> where <value> comes from the
currently selected item in the list.

Thanks,
Rob

David Wier

The problem with setting the PostbackURL when you click the button, is that
postback is already beginning.
What you'd probably want to do is set up a variable for the selected item,
with a page scope

Then, when the DDL is changed (using the OnSelectedIndexChanged event),
assign the selected item to the variable - and THEN, set the Postback url,
using the variable (PostBackUrl="somepage.aspx?param=" & myVariable)

Then, when you click the button, it should go there - the problem would then
be whether or not something is actually selected, so you would probably need
to do validation

Or you could just use a response.redirect statement
(response.redirect(="somepage.aspx?param=" & myVariable) within the button's
click event handler

David Wier
http://aspnet101.com
bloated markup

Teemu Keiski

Forgot to say, it should also work for DropDownList just as well as for
ListBox.