How to publish ASPNET web application locating the app files on shared folder

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by milen.elkin, Dec 11, 2006.

  1. milen.elkin

    milen.elkin Guest

    Hi,
    I am trying to publish this ASP.NET 2.0 application on IIS 6.0, on a
    2003
    server. When I publish it on a local drive, it is OK. When I publish it
    on a
    file share on file server in the same domain, and try to run it, it
    throws
    this exception:

    //--------Begin

    Security Exception
    allowed
    by the security policy. To grant this application the required
    permission
    please contact your system administrator or change the application's
    trust
    level in the configuration file.

    Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the
    permission of type 'System.Web.AspNetHostingPermission, System,
    Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
    failed.

    Source Error:

    current web
    request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception
    can

    Stack Trace:

    [SecurityException: Request for the permission of type
    'System.Web.AspNetHostingPermission, System, Version=2.0.0.0,
    Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType(String name, Boolean
    throwOnError,
    Boolean ignoreCase) +0
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetType(String typeName, Boolean
    ignoreCase,
    Boolean throwOnError) +270
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessInheritsAttribute(String
    baseTypeName, String codeFileBaseTypeName, String src, Assembly
    assembly) +163

    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.PostProcessMainDirectiveAttributes(IDictionary

    parseData) +192
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
    ASP.NET
    Version:2.0.50727.210

    //--------End

    This is what I have tried so far:
    1. Give full permissions on NETWORK account on the share and security
    of
    that folder
    2. Cange the user that IIS uses to connect to the Network directory to
    Domain Admin user.
    3. Impersonate the identity of the user that ASPNET uses to run the app
    in
    the web.config configuration file to a domain admin.
    4.Use the "aspnet_regiis -ga" on a dedicated domain user and make a
    application pool that runs under that user, and give full permissions
    on the
    share to that user, and use that app pool in my app.
    5. Give <trust level="Full" /> in the web.config
    6. In ".NET Framework 2.0 Configuration\My Computer\Runtime Security
    Policy\Machine\Code Groups\All_Code\LocalIntranet_Zone" add new code
    group that gives the shared folder "full trust".

    Obviously I am missing something or i am doing something wrong. Please
    help.

    milen.elkin, Dec 11, 2006

  2. milen.elkin

    Sandeep Guest

    The problem lies in the network location. By default the security
    policy will not allow to run apps from the network share or locations.
    Using CASPOL you can give permission set to run the app from the
    network share.

    Thanks

    Sandy

    Sandeep, Dec 12, 2006