    or some vc++ books are suitable to someone who hasn't learnt c++ before?

    any suggestions?

    thanks!

    nick, Jan 16, 2005

  2. nick

    Bill Guest

    Hello Nick,

    With my experience in C++, I must say that when one learns C++ what
    she/he
    should concentrate at is learning the best practices of C++ since its
    easy to get mis-directed and inculcate bad habits for a beginner while
    learning this language. Your best bet would be to get a good book, if
    you can. Two of the many good books that I know are:
    1) C++ How to Program (4th Edition)by Harvey M. Deitel, Paul J. Deitel
    Prentice Hall; 4 edition (August 12, 2002) ISBN: 0130384747
    2) C++ Primer (4th Edition)by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie,
    Barbara E. Moo
    Addison-Wesley Professional; 4 edition (February 25, 2005)
    ISBN: 0201721481

    I would start with the first one. Well, thats just my opinion.

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 16, 2005

  3. Yes you have to learn C++ before using VC++.

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys/learningcpp.htm

    Ioannis Vranos, Jan 16, 2005
  4. nick

    Sethalicious Guest

    Yes you have to learn C++ before using VC++.

    No, you can learn C++ using just about any compiler. VC++ is a
    compiler that compiles C++ code. So you can use VC++ to learn C++.
    Visual C++ is just the name of the product, not a special type of C++.

    Visual C++ 2003 (v7.1) is also 98% standards compliant. I think the
    only other compiler out there that's even more compliant is the Edison
    Design Group's compiler.

    Does anyone know what percentage Borland or g++ is when it comes to
    standards compliance?

    Sethalicious, Jan 16, 2005
  5. Did I say the opposite?

    Ioannis Vranos, Jan 16, 2005
  6. nick

    Sethalicious Guest

    Did I say the opposite?

    You said that nick needed to learn C++ "before" using VC++. I was
    thinking that people were saying that VC++ was a different programming
    language and not a compiler. Sorry if I misinterpreted your response
    to nick's post.

    Sethalicious, Jan 16, 2005
  7. nick

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    Visual C++ 2003 (v7.1) is also 98% standards compliant. I think the
    While people, engineers in particular, like a single number to rate
    conformance, most such ratings mean little. The number given is usually
    based on the percentage of tests in a suite that are passed, but the
    relationship between the tests passed and the number of areas in which
    the compiler doesn't conform is more or less coincidental.

    The bottom line is that there are quite a few different areas being
    looked at, and any single number is basically a weighted average of all
    those other numbers. The weighting used (even if it's an even
    weighting) is basically an expression of an opinion by the
    tester/statistical analyst about the relative value/importance of the
    features exercised by the individual tests. An even weighting means one
    of two things: 1) the tester considers all features equally important,
    or 2) the tester really hasn't given much consideration to what he's
    doing. At least IMO, either places the outcome in considerable doubt.
    No, nobody does (for any compiler). :) Many people have opinions, but
    nobody "knows" for the simple reason that this isn't "knowable".

    With that given, I'll give my opinion on the subject:

    At least based on the last time I tried to look at things, both of
    these are what I'd consider somewhat behind. Borland is more or less
    uniformly so (albeit not by a huge margin). I would say that Borland
    seems to succeed or fail in what I'd call a more coherent fashion --
    i.e. it seems to me much easier to get an idea of how obscure of code
    it'll work or fail on. MS works perfectly for a lot of really obscure
    code, but then fails on things that _seem_ much simpler.

    g++ seems to have slightly better conformance in the language proper,
    but the library seems fairly clearly behind. I consider it behind
    overall for the simple reason that I more frequently have problems
    getting it to accept code I'm fairly certain is correct. This is where
    opinions come into the picture though: for me, on a practical basis, it
    causes problems more frequently. I'm quite certain that's due in large
    part to the code I write though. Somebody else who writes different
    code might easily consider g++ anywhere from slightly to considerable
    ahead of VC++.

    In the end, such a number has little use in itself -- it's merely a
    prediction of how likely you are to have problems getting that compiler
    to accept your correct code. Without knowing quite a bit about the
    intended user and the type of code they write, such a prediction about
    these compilers is likely to correlate poorly with reality.

    A final observation: the "single number" approach seems to me largely
    an artifact of print media. If you're writing a magazine article (for
    example) you have little choice but to present and summarize the facts
    as you seem them. The interactivity of the web provides for much
    greater possibilities -- collect information about the user and the
    code s/he works with, and give a rating relative to that type of code.

    At one extreme this might be a short questionaire about your code. A
    more comprehensive version might allow the user to upload an archive of
    their code. This would then be run through each compiler and any error
    messages, etc., made available to the user along with a summary about
    what percentage of their code was accepted by each compiler.

    Then again, who'd want to replace the fun and excitement of compiler
    flame wars with real information? :)

    Jerry Coffin, Jan 17, 2005