I have no idea what to search for

Charlie

This is posted to the wrong group, I'm sure. But, I have no idea where to
start. I lurk here and I know that someone here can point me in the right
direction.
I have a friend who wants to start a commercial site. She wants this site to
be basically a bulletin board with pictures and the ability to vote on the
pictures. For example, I could post a picture of my dog and a brief
description. And visitors could then vote for my dog as a dog of the month.
The hard part is that I have no idea how to enable the end user to upload an
image file along with their description and have it put onto the site.
I've talked to several friends. And I've managed to get several answers.
ASP, PHP and CGI scripts among them. I can put the site on a Windoze server
or a Linux box, so that isn't really a barrier.
I am definately not familiar with any of the above listed methods of
scripting and was hoping for some advice on where I might be able to
purchase or download a script that would accomplish what we have in mind. I
have tried searching on the net, but searching for the word "script" gets a
LOT of results. Can anyone give me an idea of what to enter into a search
engine that will provide me with a more detailed listing?

Thanks,
Charlie

Adrienne

[...]

If you decide to go with ASP, there's a component at
http://www.aspupload.com , and IIRC, PHP already has built in image upload
capabilites without the need for a component. Actually, there is a way to
do uploads without a component in ASP, just Google for "asp upload script",
without quotes.

With that being said, I think it is advisable to learn the scripting
language before you start seriously working with it. That way you'll have
an idea of what to do when a script/component throws an error.

Toby A Inkster

Charlie said:
I have a friend who wants to start a commercial site. She wants this site to
be basically a bulletin board with pictures and the ability to vote on the
pictures. [...]
ASP, PHP and CGI scripts among them. I can put the site on a Windoze server
or a Linux box, so that isn't really a barrier.
I am definately not familiar with any of the above listed methods of
scripting and was hoping for some advice on where I might be able to
purchase or download a script that would accomplish what we have in mind.

To be perfectly honest, without a decent working knowledge of some
server-side scripting language, you're going to have a very tricky task
ahead of you and whatever solution you put together would likely be a bit
of a mess.

You may be able to find a prefab script that does what you want, thanks to
the popularity of such sites as AmIHotOrNot.com, but failing that you'd be
better off asking somebody else to write the site for you unless you have
to time to obtain intimate knowledge of one of the above scripting
languages.

For the record, of the three you've mentioned, I'd recommend PHP as:

a) the software required for a Linux/Apache/PHP setup can be obtained for
free; and

b) PHP makes file uploads dead easy.

CGI/Perl would be a close runner-up, as there are free add-on modules that
make it almost as easy for file uploads.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Charlie said:
[...]

well, if you can get a web hoster that supports MySQL databasing and PHP,
goto www.phpbb.com and get one of their free message boards. It has the
ability for people to make a post that includes images, and to be able to
vote on it. If you need an example I can make one for you, as I run one of
the boards myself.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

T. Audry Glamour said:
Sick! Sick! Sick sick sick!

I dont get it? I jsut have a (fake)?) 404 page with a link to a blank page
with a black background.