Is there a way to obtain the computer name using ruby?

Mike Johnson

Hi, all

I am using ruby with watir to make some small scripts. I want to obtain
the name of the computer where my script is running from. Is there a
way to obtain the computer name using ruby?

Thanks

Glen Holcomb

Hi, all

I am using ruby with watir to make some small scripts. I want to obtain
the name of the computer where my script is running from. Is there a
way to obtain the computer name using ruby?

Thanks
Socket.gethostname

Phillip Gawlowski

Siep Korteling

Glen said:
Socket.gethostname

--
"Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Did not know that one, thid works too:

ENV["COMPUTERNAME"]

regards,

Siep

James Britt

Mike said:
Hi, all

I am using ruby with watir to make some small scripts. I want to obtain
the name of the computer where my script is running from. Is there a
way to obtain the computer name using ruby?

Thanks

name = `hostname`

More or less.

Don't recall if this works in Windows, but there should be something
similar that returns machine info

Robert Klemme

Glen said:
Socket.gethostname

--
"Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Did not know that one, thid works too:

ENV["COMPUTERNAME"]

I would discourage using this approach as it is very error prone and not
portable.

Kind regards

robert