Learning C++

maria.metty

Hello

I am a student currently in an MIS program... Our teacher told us we
don't need to know any scripting or coding to succeed in our job or
program, but I still want to learn about coding...

What are the best books/sites/ways to learn C++, XTML, PhP or HTML...

I happen to also really like art, so I make art and have a goal to
make a really cool & professional website. I know illustrator,
photoshop, etc.

Maria

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
I am a student currently in an MIS program... Our teacher told us we
don't need to know any scripting or coding to succeed in our job or
program, but I still want to learn about coding...

I think that's a good idea. There was a school of thought that a good
manager can manage anything, and doesn't need to know about the nitty
gritty, sort of like the PHB in Dilbert. Far better the manager who is
able to understand relevant issues and make informed decisions.

What are the best books/sites/ways to learn C++, XTML, PhP or HTML...

This is an enormous span of subjects. I'd suggest starting to learn
about HTML and JavaScript (VBScript is a simpler language with about the
same power as JavaScript, but is only available for Windows). For this,
you're posting the question in an irrelevant group. However, there are
a few good C++ books aimed at the complete beginner with no knowledge of
programming. I'd suggest "You can do it!" by Francis Glassborow[1] (he
tested each new part of the book on a middle-aged housewife, I think it
was, and she could).

I happen to also really like art, so I make art and have a goal to
make a really cool & professional website. I know illustrator,
photoshop, etc.

Perhaps think about generating pictures programmatically. E.g., take a
look at <url: http://www.superliminal.com/fractals/bbrot/bbrot.htm>.

Follow-ups set to [comp.programming], since this is really off-topic in
[comp.lang.c++] (where we just discuss the C++ language).

That means, unless you take special action, any reply will be posted to
[comp.programming].

Notes:
[1] <url: http://www.spellen.org/youcandoit/>

Jon Harrop

Hello

I am a student currently in an MIS program... Our teacher told us we
don't need to know any scripting or coding to succeed in our job or
program, but I still want to learn about coding...

What are the best books/sites/ways to learn C++, XTML, PhP or HTML...

You may wish to consider C#, F# and OCaml. In particular, F# and OCaml offer
many features that are either new or improved compared to C++, including:

Safety (no more crashing)
Garbage collection
Pattern matching
First-class functions
Type inference
Strong static type checking
Higher-order module systems
Reflection
Parametric polymorphism
Better data structures
Better interoperability (e.g. .NET)
Web programming
GUI programming
I happen to also really like art, so I make art and have a goal to
make a really cool & professional website. I know illustrator,
photoshop, etc.

If you appreciate graphic design then you will probably find it vastly more
gratifying to use programming languages that provide easy access to
computer graphics. C# and F# programs can be used to generate web pages.

I have written many demos in both languages:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/ocaml/?u6
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/dotnet/fsharp/?u6

Victor Bazarov

Jon said:
Hello

I am a student currently in an MIS program... Our teacher told us we
don't need to know any scripting or coding to succeed in our job or
program, but I still want to learn about coding...

What are the best books/sites/ways to learn C++, XTML, PhP or HTML...

You may wish to consider C#, F# and OCaml. [..]

Do you have anything to say on the subject?