Need Assistance: session state error - ASP v1.1 vs ASP v2.0

Guest

On a computer that had VS2003 installed, I installed vs2005.
When I run my vs2003 ASP.Net application, which was enabled with session
state using Sql Server 2000, I get the following error:

Unable to use SQL Server because ASP.NET version 2.0 Session State is not
installed on the SQL server. Please install ASP.NET Session State SQL Server
version 2.0 or above.

Why does a v1.1 ASP.Net application require v2.0 session state management?