newb stuff about dll's.

Qwert

Hello,

I have custom dll which I link to like this:

<%@ Register TagPrefix="MyDLL" Namespace="MyDLL" Assembly="MyDLL" %>

which works. Only strange thing is when I put the dll file in the \bin
directory of the directory with the .aspx file it doens't find the dll. I
have to put in it the \bin directory of the 'wwwroot'. Why is this?
Everywhere i read that it has to be in \bin of the directory with the .apsx
file.

I have another DLL which uses "System.Windows.Forms". This second DLL I
can't get to work, because ASP.NET can't find the DLL
"System.Windows.Forms". I thought that all DLL's that are in the GAC are
automatically found? How do I add a reference in my .aspx file to
"System.Windows.Forms"? The following code doesn't work:

<%@ Register Assembly="System.Windows.Forms" %>

Thanks.

Joseph Byrns

The dll has to be in the bin folder of the application folder, that is the
folder you application is in must be configured as an application folder in
IIS. If it isn't configured as an application then it looks for the dll in
the bin folder in the root.

Eric Newton

You need to configure the applicaiton in IIS.

In the IIS management console, right click the virtual directory root for
your app, look for the "Home Directory" tab, and if there's no text in the
application text box, click the "Create" button.

Additionally, you should be aware that windows forms dll's will not work
with asp.net !