[OT] Linux

Luigi Donatello Asero

Gav said:
it.

Fair enough.

Yes you will obviously need more space to dual boot, if as you say it is
just for e-mail and NG then theres no point dual booting anyway. I'm using
Pan for my newsreader, seems quite good.

To Download

www.opensuse.org

To Buy, try here 8 for 5 cds.

I am surprised here by your using the word "Buy".
Was Linux not supposed to be "free"?

Gav

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am surprised here by your using the word "Buy".
Was Linux not supposed to be "free"?

It is free, your paying for somebody to make the cds and post them too you.
Would you send people cds for free?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Gav said:
It is free, your paying for somebody to make the cds and post them too you.
Would you send people cds for free?

But in this case it sounds much better to try and burn them myself first for
the reason to
switch into Linux is to spend less and not more....

Gav

But in this case it sounds much better to try and burn them myself first
for
the reason to
switch into Linux is to spend less and not more....

Correct, which is probably what most people do. I've only ever bought one CD
set and that was years ago, retail version of FreeBSD 2.2 I think it was.
All the others I have downloaded and burnt myself, got a heck of an archive
of old distros now.

:eek:)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am going to read it more carefully later because I am late now.
But the point is very simply that I want to cut costs at the moment
and my firm is much smaller than dorayme might imagine....

I mean
my one-man business is much smaller than dorayme might imagine..

Brian Cryer

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am considering switching from Windows 98 into Linux to post to NGs and
e-mail in some days/1-2 weeks and I wonder whether some of you would like
sum it up where I could download the OS and which parts I would need
download, given the above mentioned needs.
Please consider that I know very little about Linux.

Do you have another pc that you can use while you are loading Linux? If it
all goes horribly wrong then its worth being sure that you still have a pc
that you can use to post to the relevant Linux newsgroups for help. A
friends pc might do - it all depends on how long it takes you to get yours
up again.

As an alternative, do you have a spare hard disk? Unplug your current hard
disk with Windows 98 on it and install another in its place. No where near
as convenient as dual booting, but it means you know you can recover your 98
install with minimum fuss (just swap the disk back).

Whilst I'm firmly in "windows land", I'm sure the switch to Linux will be
worthwhile. Hope it goes well.

Travis Newbury

Leif said:
Libre != gratis. If you had taken a minute to read what you were
replying to, you might understand that.

I did read it, I know exactly what you were talking about, I thought it
was boring as hell, so I added some levity. Sorry you missed it.

Blinky the Shark

Gav said:
Correct, which is probably what most people do. I've only ever bought
one CD set and that was years ago, retail version of FreeBSD 2.2 I
think it was. All the others I have downloaded and burnt myself, got
a heck of an archive of old distros now.

I've bought a couple of releases from Mandrakesoft itself. If everybody
just does Linux distros for free, in time there won't *be* any distros.

Leif K-Brooks

Travis said:
I did read it, I know exactly what you were talking about, I thought it
was boring as hell, so I added some levity. Sorry you missed it.

Yeah, I know, your freedoms are boring as hell. Here's a ball; go play
with it.

Sally Thompson

As to e-mails, I am even having problems now by using Outlook Express and
this is not the first time I have got them.
Of course, one solution for that might be to use webmails.
Again, I am going to use WinXP to upload files to my websites at least at
the beginning.
There are also other things which are not currently supported by Linux which
I am going to do by using Win XP, then.

Luigi, you do not need to use Outlook Express just because you have Windows
98. I use a Mac and you really really wouldn't like it <g> but also have an
old W98 laptop. It uses Firefox as a browser, Pegasus for email, and if I
used it for posting to newsgroups I would use Forte Free Agent (as I used to
do in Windows days).

Before you ask, they are all free.

dorayme

Ben C said:
It sounds like you want a centered, shrink-to-fit container for the
floats.

The only ways to do centered and shrink-to-fit we could come up with the
other day (see recent thread called something like "Centering a float")
are with a table or display: inline-block (or inline-table would also
work), but inline-block is not supported by FF.

Indeed, I have been thinking of using a table (simple as that) if
I go the way I was wanting yesterday. On reflection, it seems
silly not to for some display purposes. Your description "a
centered, shrink-to-fit container" is nice and apt.

But I am also considering another plan - you might pardon me for
diverging - where the whole width of the browser window can be
utilised for these floats unrestricted by a left navigation bar.
The wider the space, the less noticeable any uneven sides become.
In this plan, it becomes more pressing or tempting to have a
dropdown strip menu at top. There is one I like at
http://www.grc.com/menu2/invitro.htm? but it would bother me if I
could not make it work in iCab for sentimental reasons. I might
contact iCab... or the makers of the dropdown... they took some
trouble to make it comply with modern browsers.

dorayme

You are going to make life very complicated for yourself, you are
not a young man any more, Luigi, my men have reported back to me
on everything and I want to protect you. Just go to XP, put in
all the security updates and virus protectors (all tax deductable
in Sweden) and stuff and Bob could very easily be your uncle...

No. I had rather not use XP to post here.[/QUOTE]

No, of course. I give you excellent advice because I know you. I
see what you do with complexity. You do more than embrace it. You
wallow in it. Complexity is the mud to your bird bathing, it is
the haystack to your needle, it is a stadium of lights to your
moth...

Begging you not to go this way is not going to work obviously. I
am going to have to divert the team I sent to avenge your savage
beating on the French German border over to have a little word to
you. They will talk to you in rudimentary Italian. But that is ok
because what they will have to say is very simple and you will
not mistake anything.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Again, why using a dual boot?
It Linux should not work, I could still format HD again and not use this PC
at all or reinstall Win 98.
A dual boot would make the PC more vulnerable, I think.

Of course Luigi! Once an evil intruder gets in, it will be like a
greedy strong long armed fat man at a smorgasboard, nothing will
be out of his reach. Not even the nearby kitchen stocks.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
But the point is very simply that I want to cut costs at the moment
and my firm is much smaller than dorayme might imagine....

This is just the usual cagey one man business talk. I have heard
that the Swedish economy has actually been measurably affected by
your trade.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I mean
my one-man business is much smaller than dorayme might imagine..

Yeah... yeah... now trying to portray your previous description
of your business as a "firm" as a mistake, an inaccuracy. It was
a revealing slip of the tongue!

A firm eh? Impressive. You have a chauffeur?

Joe

Hello,
Mac is probably the best but it
is very expensive.
So, I want to change from Win 98 into Linux because it does not cost
anything
except my time to do that and this change still lets me use this old PC.
Is that clear?
Moreover the new Symantec products suit newer versions than Win 98
which makes it difficult to update them!
Symantec does not seem to be interested in those who have Win 98!
I promised myself I'd never do this, but

1. You may find you do not have enough RAM /HDD space to run the more
modern Linuxes. eg. Ubuntu with the lot need 256MB RAM and 2Gig HD
space. There are many many smaller Linuxes, but the smaller you go, the
more you need to know.

2. Ditch Symantec in favour of Avira.

3., 4., 5. Because I said so.