    Can anyone cast some light, or point me
    to a more appropriate newgroup?

    Thanks

    Nick Landsberg, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Nick Landsberg

    Jack Klein Guest

    It has nothing at all to do with the C language.

    Jack Klein, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Nick Landsberg

    m... Guest

    I think you may try to discuss this in Linx (or UNIX like platform)
    newsgroup. It's about the histroy of C compiler.

    "Nick Landsberg" <> ???
    ???...

    I know it's off topic, but I always wondered
    about the origins of "a.out" as the default
    executable name from a simple compile.

    Can anyone cast some light, or point me
    to a more appropriate newgroup?

    Thanks

    "It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
    ingenious" - A. Bloch

    ~ Let us linux ~

    m..., Feb 16, 2004
  4. If comp.unix.programmer (which others have suggested) doesn't cut it, try
    alt.folklore.computers - Dennis Ritchie hangs out in there, so you have a
    great chance of getting the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

    Richard Heathfield, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Nick Landsberg

    Dan Pop Guest

    Why would expect anything else from a post with the [OT] tag?

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Nick Landsberg

    Dan Pop Guest

    As usual in such cases, it's for historical reasons. The first compiler
    produced assembly output (still current practice today, on some
    platforms). The compiler driver then passed the assembly file to the
    assembler, whose *default* output file name was a.out. In certain cases,
    this file could be directly executed, without needing any further
    processing by a linker.

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Feb 16, 2004
  7. http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/chist.html which also contains
    other interesting things that are more or less ontopic.
    - David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

    Dave Thompson, Feb 23, 2004