Open VS 2005
1) from the start page click on Create, then select asp.net web
application. This creates a properties folder and references folder in
solution explorer.

2) go to the File menu and select New/Website. this just creates the
project and adds the default aspx page

Things seem to work better when creating the project using method #1 and one
of the many noticeable differences is when I add a reference to the project,
#1 adds it to the references folder and #2 adds it to the web config file.
Also, I'm using some of the Infragistics controls and some of their design
time functionality doesn't work right using method #1.

So I'm wondering what are most people doing out there and why.

Thanks.

Guest

What's the preferred (best) way to start a website project in VS 2005? I
know of 2 ways and each creates a site differently and has different
behavior.

#1 adds it to the references folder and #2 adds it to the web config file.
Also, I'm using some of the Infragistics controls and some of their design
time functionality doesn't work right using method #1.

So I'm wondering what are most people doing out there and why.

Thanks.

Comparing Web Site Projects and Web Application Projects
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(vs.80).aspx#wapp_topic5

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Alexey's input.

Hi Moondaddy,

"WebSite" project model is the default one with VS 2005 as it matches the
new ASP.NET 2.0 dynamic compilation style. While the "Web Application
Project" model(through new project ---> web application ...) is added later
to provide a vs 2003/ASP.NET 1.1 like development experience. You can
choose either. If you do not care about those design experience from VS
2003, I suggest you choose "Website" approach. Here are two articles from
Scottgu's blog introduce these ASP.NET 2.0 project models:

#Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project Option
http://webproject.scottgu.com/

#VS 2005 Web Project System: What is it and why did we do it?
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/21/423201.aspx

Hope this also helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

[...]