Problem with Ajax install on vista ultimate with VS(td) and sql server 2005

Karl

Hi all.

I've recently rebuilt my Vista Ultimate workstation with Visual Studio
Team Developer edition. Ive also put on the SQL Server 2005 tools and
it's fully patched.

I was building a web application in VS before the rebuild and I've
just come to do some work on it, and it has reminded me that I need to
install Ajax 1.0 again as I haven't done it yet (Ajax was installed
before and the site makes use of it) but when I go to install it
(Ajax) I get the following error...

Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions 1.0 requires the .NET Framework
2.0 or .NET Framework 3.0. The .Net Framework installer can be found
on the website (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=76097). Please
install a compatible version of the Framework and try again.

However, BOTH Frameworks are installed and are seem to be working ok?
Visual studio has had SP1 applied and SQL Server 2005 has had the SP2
and critical update for SP2 installed.

Can anyone help and tell me how I got about finding out what the
problem is, and how to fix it and installed AJAX? If you need more
information, please let me know...

Thanks

Ben Rush

However, BOTH Frameworks are installed and are seem to be working ok?

When you say working okay, what do you exactly mean by working okay?

Karl

However, BOTH Frameworks are installed and are seem to be working ok?
When you say working okay, what do you exactly mean by working okay?

When I run up VS and debug a site or application that doesnt use AJAX,
they seem to work ok.

I did try to reinstall Framework 2.0 from the redistributable file
(dotnetfx.exe from the MS site) and it told me it was already
installed. I tried the same thing with the Framework 3.0 redist file
(dotnetfx3setup.exe) and I got a message saying XP SP2 wasn't
installed so it couldn't continue...

Strange things are happening indeed... :)

Karl

I presume XP SP2 is, actually, installed?

Huh? on Vista Ultimate? Surely I don't need to do this?

Ben Rush

Sorry, I misread that you were using Vista, my apologies.

Juan's constructive <chuckle> may be your ticket, however. I would
definitely try that next.

Ben Rush

No - I misread your post. I'm sorry.

Well, I'm pretty sure that there's no compatibility issues with Vista
Ultimate because a friend of mine has it on his machine without any
troubles. I'll check with him and see if he ran into any installation
issues.

....until then, I'm sorry, I seem to be out of ideas.

Karl

Sorry, I misread that you were using Vista, my apologies.

Juan's constructive <chuckle> may be your ticket, however. I would
definitely try that next.

Which? Laughing at my pc, or trying to install xp sp2? :)

Karl

No - I misread your post. I'm sorry.
Well, I'm pretty sure that there's no compatibility issues with Vista
Ultimate because a friend of mine has it on his machine without any
troubles. I'll check with him and see if he ran into any installation
issues.

...until then, I'm sorry, I seem to be out of ideas.

No Problem, I appreciate all the help I can get at the moment.

Ben Rush

Hey Karl,

I just checked with a friend of mine and he had no problems installing AJAX
on his Vista machine. So, I'm not sure what the problem could be....

Karl

I just checked with a friend of mine and he had no problems installing AJAX
on his Vista machine. So, I'm not sure what the problem could be....

I had it installed ok before the rebuild. You know what it's like when
a pc goes slow and the only sure is a software rebuild? That's what
happened. Everything worked fine (if not a little slow) so I decided
to rebuild it. something must have gone wrong during this rebuild
though as now I can't installed AJAX. :(

The problem I'm having is that Vista tells me everything is working
fine, when it clearly isn't!

Karl

I had it installed ok before the rebuild. You know what it's like when
a pc goes slow and the only sure is a software rebuild? That's what
happened. Everything worked fine (if not a little slow) so I decided
to rebuild it. something must have gone wrong during this rebuild
though as now I can't installed AJAX. :(

The problem I'm having is that Vista tells me everything is working
fine, when it clearly isn't!

Sorry people... bumping this to see if there are any more takers?

Lloyd Sheen

Karl said:
Sorry people... bumping this to see if there are any more takers?

When you say it is not working what are the symptoms? I was using the
Express Products on Vista Ultimate with ASP.AJAX and then switch the VS Pro.
All I did was reinstall ASP.AJAX and the template for the AJAX enabled web
site was installed. Check your web.config to ensure that your site has the
correct entries for AJAX.

Lloyd Sheen