sending HTML emails

shank

Where can I find any specials rules or cautions when creating HTML emails?

I've been sending them for over a year with very few problems while "not"
using CSS. For the first time today I set an email up with CSS, embedded and
inline styles. It validated without flaw using www.w3.org. I used
transitional 4.01. I send my campaign out and receive the email in my own
outlook express - and it's trashed! Some of the style attributes were just
ignored. Another thing I noticed is that in code class="xyz" had been
converted to class=xyz. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

thanks

EightNineThree

shank said:
Where can I find any specials rules or cautions when creating HTML emails?

How HTML Email Invades Your Privacy
http://email.about.com/library/weekly/aa121100a.htm?once=true&

HTML Formatted E-mail Issues
http://www.admin.mtu.edu/sas/docs/HTMLBad.html

Why Developers Don't Want HTML Email
http://evolt.org/article/view/25/781/index.html

plaintext
In praise of practical e-mail hygiene
http://www.netby.dk/Oest/Europa-Alle/vermeer/plain.html

Security Issues in HTML-based Email
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/asrg/02-07-2000.html

HTML in Email: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
http://www.ibiztips.com/email19FEB01.htm

HTML Email Isn't Rich
http://www.evolt.org/article/HTML_Email_Isn_t_Rich/25/53732/

A Trick to Snoop on E-Mail
http://www.landfield.com/isn/mail-archive/2001/Feb/0041.html

Securing Privacy Part Three: E-mail Issues
http://www.securityfocus.com/printable/infocus/1579

HTML Email: Whenever Possible, Turn It Off!
http://www.american.edu/cas/econ/htmlmail.htm

Plain Text or HTML? Let Your Users Decide
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/522

Why HTML Mail Readers Are A Bad Thing (Or, We Know Where You Are)
http://www.chaosphere.com/blathu/htmlmail.html

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

shank

EightNineThree said:
[...]

Give me a break!
HTML email is here to stay!
Deal with it!!!

EightNineThree

Give me a break!
HTML email is here to stay!
Deal with it!!!

$10 says you didn't even read one of those links.

--

EightNineThree said:
$10 says you didn't even read one of those links.

I read the one titled "The Sky Is Falling... So Go Back To Plain Email..."
I asked a legitimate question about how to format HTML emails and you find
it as an opportunity to preach. I have no intention of starting a pissin'
contest with you over this issue, but if you believe under any circumstances
that e-commerce is going backwards to plain HTML, you need to stop smoking
that stuff. I don't buy black/white magazines and I don't buy black/white
TVs. My emails have color and color is here to stay!
Have a nice day!

e n | c k m a

I read the one titled "The Sky Is Falling... So Go Back To Plain Email..."
I asked a legitimate question about how to format HTML emails and you find
it as an opportunity to preach.

893 wasn't preaching.
Don't take things so personally, take this as advice.

I'd be surprised if more than 2 people in this newsgroup view HTML email.

Nick.

John C

893 wasn't preaching.
Don't take things so personally, take this as advice.

I'd be surprised if more than 2 people in this newsgroup view HTML email.

Nick.

And after color there'll be cute little animated gif's and messages about
needing a flash plug-in and a realaudio plugin and best viewed in Outlook
Express just click here to upgrade and, uh-oh, I think I'm gonna barf,
gotta go...

Hywel Jenkins

Where can I find any specials rules or cautions when creating HTML emails?

I've been sending them for over a year with very few problems while "not"
using CSS. For the first time today I set an email up with CSS, embedded and
inline styles. It validated without flaw using www.w3.org. I used
transitional 4.01. I send my campaign out and receive the email in my own
outlook express - and it's trashed!

Er, duh! Didn't you think to send it to yourself first to test it?
Some of the style attributes were just
ignored. Another thing I noticed is that in code class="xyz" had been
converted to class=xyz. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

Yup. Sending HTML mail without a plaintext part.

Toby A Inkster

shank said:
My emails have color and color is here to stay!

My plain text e-mails have colour.

Background is black. Text is white. URLs are blue. Quoted text is green.
Attachments in red. Most importantly, fonts are in a legible size.

HTML mail tends to take away my choice of font size and colour.

Of course, if the HTML was written according to established standards
*and* accessibility guidelines, things would be better, but it rarely is.

Daniel R. Tobias

http://mailformat.dan.info/body/html.html

I've been sending them for over a year with very few problems while "not"
using CSS. For the first time today I set an email up with CSS, embedded and
inline styles. It validated without flaw using www.w3.org. I used
transitional 4.01. I send my campaign out and receive the email in my own
outlook express - and it's trashed! Some of the style attributes were just
ignored. Another thing I noticed is that in code class="xyz" had been
converted to class=xyz. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

You don't mention what program you used to *send* the mail; perhaps the
outbound program was responsible for "mangling" your code before it went
out?

Anthony Buckland

shank said:
Where can I find any specials rules or cautions when creating HTML emails?

Rule one: don't send them to me. The second I see HTML starting to display
when I open an email, I hit "stop" in a hurry and do a virus scan soon
after.
If someone wants me to have the _opportunity_ to see something generated
with HTML, they can send me an email with a link in it, which I might click
on if I really trust that person.

Rule two: forget rule one if you operate in a closed community where
everyone trusts everyone else and is scrupulous about not passing on any
messages from outside.

William Tasso

Anthony said:
Rule one: don't send them to me. The second I see HTML starting to
display when I open an email, I hit "stop" in a hurry and do a virus
scan soon after.

Doesn't your mail client have the option to display all incoming as plain
text?

Ben

shank said:
using CSS. For the first time today I set an email up with CSS, embedded and
inline styles. It validated without flaw using www.w3.org. I used
transitional 4.01. I send my campaign out and receive the email in my own
outlook express - and it's trashed! Some of the style attributes were just
ignored. Another thing I noticed is that in code class="xyz" had been
converted to class=xyz. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

I occasionally highlight a web page and paste it into OE and email it to
myself (I use both Mozilla Mail and OE btw). I have found recently
though that it does not take into account CSS at all so on CSS sites I
lose the formating which is a real downer.

regards,
Ben

William Tasso

Ben said:
I occasionally highlight a web page and paste it into OE and email it
to myself (I use both Mozilla Mail and OE btw). I have found recently
though that it does not take into account CSS at all so on CSS sites I
lose the formating which is a real downer.

that's the cut/paste which is failing to 'get' the css - not your mail
client(s)

Ben

William said:
that's the cut/paste which is failing to 'get' the css - not your mail
client(s)

IE is pretty good at cutting and then pasting into OE which is not the
case with Mozilla Mail and Browser. But IE has not been set up for
copying pages with CSS unfortunately.

andy johnson

Where can I find any specials rules or cautions when creating HTML emails?

I've been sending them for over a year with very few problems while "not"
using CSS. For the first time today I set an email up with CSS, embedded and
inline styles. It validated without flaw using www.w3.org. I used
transitional 4.01. I send my campaign out and receive the email in my own
outlook express - and it's trashed! Some of the style attributes were just
ignored. Another thing I noticed is that in code class="xyz" had been
converted to class=xyz. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

thanks
EVERYBODY I know, family, friends, work, you name it, has HTML turned
off. When you spammers send email, the ones that get by the filters
get added to the kill filter list. Screw you people. You are the
reason what could have been a nice thing has fallen into disuse.
-
Andy

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes) (this email addy is never checked...)

Toby A Inkster

Ben said:
IE is pretty good at cutting and then pasting into OE which is not the
case with Mozilla Mail and Browser. But IE has not been set up for
copying pages with CSS unfortunately.

In Mozilla, File > Send Page.

Ben

Toby said:
Ben wrote:

In Mozilla, File > Send Page.

Thanks for that. I'll have to experiment with it. One of the advantages
of the Ie/OE way though is the ability of modifying or adding text to
the page you pasted as well. I can copy part of a table for example and
paste it in to the email to myself. Mozilla allows you to copy tables,
but does not allow partial tables which can be a bother.

regards,
Ben

shank

EVERYBODY I know, family, friends, work, you name it, has HTML turned
off. When you spammers send email, the ones that get by the filters
get added to the kill filter list. Screw you people. You are the
reason what could have been a nice thing has fallen into disuse.
-
Andy

I was determined to stay out of this message thread until this moron got
involved. I admin the mail accounts for some 30 employees for 10+ years.
They all have HTML turned on! I filter some 5,000 spam emails at the domain
level every week. The only time we've had problems is when a user clicked
onto an attachment. Apparently, idiots like yourselves. I do not subscribe
to the "sky is falling" religion you select few have chosen. Correct!
"Select few." I personally do not know of anyone that has HTML turned off.
We live in a colorful world and choose to see color. We use it for proofing
and emphasizing ideas and instruction. Color is here and it's staying!

Through your own little cult thinking I have now been labeled a spammer. We
have 18,000 subscribers that we email twice a week. More sign up every week,
some unsubscribe or bounce every week. Regardless, in 6 years we've been
accused of spamming twice. Both from morons like yourselves who pounce on
the opportunity to inflame a situation because your lives are pathetic and
boring.

Be assured that if you were admin of my company, you'd be on the street in a
hurry! If you cannot keep your local machines safe in an HTML world, what
the hell good are you? We embrace technology and welcome it!!! Wake up and
get a life people! There's a great big world out there. Check it out
someday!

When you throw mud - expect to catch a bit yourselves!