Update/info on tax deductibility of RubyConf fees

David A. Black

Hello everyone --

The granting of Ruby Central's tax-exempt status has happened right at
the same time as registration for RubyConf, so we want to make sure
both we and you understand exactly how, and to what extent, the laws
allow for deduction of registration fees.

Our understanding is that the relevant rule, in brief, is that you can
deduct the part of the fee for which you do not receive anything
tangible in return (such as food or a t-shirt). Therefore, we have to
calculate which part of your registration fee that applies to. It's a
little hard right now, since we haven't done the purchasing. (And
there are potential variations involving the different registration
levels.) We will, of course, keep you informed.

Meanwhile, if you haven't registered already....

http://www.rubycentral.org/conference/register.html

:)

David Black
Chad Fowler

for RubyConf 2004 and Ruby Central, Inc.