VHDL Auto-stitching tool (ala emacs verilog-mode AUTOINST)

Mark

I'm coding for the first time in 10 years in VHDL and am trying to
find equivalents to my old verilog tool-box. One tool I found
extremely useful was the AUTOINST features of the verilog-mode in
emacs where it would automatically connect instance ports and where
you could define per-instance naming rules via AUTO_TEMPLATE. I've
discovered the port copy/port-paste as... feature in the emacs vhdl-
mode, but am wondering if that's as close as I can get to the auto-
instantiate feature of the verilog-mode?

Thanks,

Mark

Mike Treseler

Mark said:
I'm coding for the first time in 10 years in VHDL and am trying to
find equivalents to my old verilog tool-box. One tool I found
extremely useful was the AUTOINST features of the verilog-mode in
emacs where it would automatically connect instance ports and where
you could define per-instance naming rules via AUTO_TEMPLATE. I've
discovered the port copy/port-paste as... feature in the emacs vhdl-
mode, but am wondering if that's as close as I can get to the auto-
instantiate feature of the verilog-mode?

That's it for vhdl-mode,
unless you can tolerate functions and variables instead.

VHDL,Port,Copy
VHDL,Port,Paste as instance.

-- Mike Treseler

Jan Decaluwe

Mark said:
I'm coding for the first time in 10 years in VHDL and am trying to
find equivalents to my old verilog tool-box. One tool I found
extremely useful was the AUTOINST features of the verilog-mode in
emacs where it would automatically connect instance ports and where
you could define per-instance naming rules via AUTO_TEMPLATE. I've
discovered the port copy/port-paste as... feature in the emacs vhdl-
mode, but am wondering if that's as close as I can get to the auto-
instantiate feature of the verilog-mode?

You may want to take a look at Sigasi HDT, a next generation
(Eclipse-based) VHDL IDE. It makes instantiations much easier through
intelligent autocompletes and by automatically generating missing signal
declarations. It also has refactorings to add new connections
quickly.

http://www.sigasi.com

Mark

That's it for vhdl-mode,
unless you can tolerate functions and variables instead.

VHDL,Port,Copy
VHDL,Port,Paste as instance.

      -- Mike Treseler

Thought I'd follow-up for the next person looking for autostitch in
vhdl-mode. Just discovered vhdl-compose-wire-components in the emacs
mode which goes a bit further than just port-copy-and-paste. Not sure
all its capabilities yet, but it filled out all my signals, which was
very nice.

Mark

Mike Treseler

Mark said:
Thought I'd follow-up for the next person looking for autostitch in
vhdl-mode. Just discovered vhdl-compose-wire-components in the emacs
mode which goes a bit further than just port-copy-and-paste. Not sure
all its capabilities yet, but it filled out all my signals, which was
very nice.

Yes. VHDL-compose- fills in signals and wires up identical names.
Can set for direct or indirect instances.
Handy for structural code, but I'm a procedural guy.

-- Mike Treseler

Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Mark said:
On Jun 16, 2:09*pm, Mike Treseler <[email protected]> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
> > I'm coding for the first time in 10 years in VHDL and am trying to
> > find equivalents to my oldverilogtool-box. *One tool I found
> > extremely useful was theAUTOINSTfeatures of theverilog-mode in
> > emacs where it would automatically connect instance ports and where
> > you could define per-instance naming rules via AUTO_TEMPLATE. * I've
> > discovered the port copy/port-paste as... feature in the emacs vhdl-
> > mode, but am wondering if that's as close as I can get to the auto-
> > instantiate feature of theverilog-mode?

> That's it for vhdl-mode,
> unless you can tolerate functions and variables instead.
>
> VHDL,Port,Copy
> VHDL,Port,Paste as instance.
>
> * * * -- Mike Treseler

Thought I'd follow-up for the next person looking for autostitch in
vhdl-mode. Just discovered vhdl-compose-wire-components in the emacs
mode which goes a bit further than just port-copy-and-paste. Not sure
all its capabilities yet, but it filled out all my signals, which was
very nice.

Mark

But how do you use this (vhdl-compose-wire-components) exactly ? .. can you give an example ? ..
By the way, is (emacs-mode) the same as the (fundamental-mode) ?