What do you use with Perl for GUI programming and why?

smallpond

Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

Depends what you want.

Tk - complete set of basic, square-cornered widgets. Runs everywhere.
Port of Tk to Perl, so nothing else to install.

Tkx - styled widgets. Runs well on Windows. Interfaces to Tcl/Tkx.

Wx - Interfaces to wxWidgets. Also mostly Windows.

OpenGL - pros: lets you do anything. cons: lets you do anything.

Qt - I haven't heard good things about this one.

If you are only running on one platform, you can also find wrappers in
CPAN to get to the native widget libraries.

ccc31807

Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

I've done quite a number of graphical Perl scripte, but I always use
CGI. The two big wins are that (1) you produce HTML (and CSS and
JavaScript) which is just ASCII text, nothing fancy involved, and (2)
your user can use any web browser of their choice.

As a plus, you get internetwork capability with a web server (like
Apache) with a client/server architecture, so you have to worry about
maintaining code on the server, not on myriad user machines.

I've done a bit of graphical work in Java (2D) and just played with C/C
++, and I hope I NEVER have to write a graphical program using the
graphics libraries of those languages.

I've also done some graphical work with Microsoft Visual Studio, using
a variety of .NET languages, and for the result, I think that VS is an
appropriate tool for building GUI apps on Windows.

CC.