What do you use with Python for GUI programming and why?

Littlefield, Tyler

Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

TKInter from what I understand comes with Python already. There is also
PYGui and WXPython; it really depends on what you want and what you like
the best.

Paul Rubin

Robert said:
Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

Tkinter or a simple web app with cgihttpserver. I haven't ever had
occasion to write a fancy desktop app and I think of them as a
mostly-obsolete medium, though I guess there are still some useful ones.

I have some interest in programming mobile phone apps in python, though
haven't tried it yet. I guess that would be with some QT toolkit (for
Maemo/Meego) or some kind of Java bridge (for Android).

Algis Kabaila

Tkinter or a simple web app with cgihttpserver. I haven't
ever had occasion to write a fancy desktop app and I think
of them as a mostly-obsolete medium, though I guess there
are still some useful ones.

I have some interest in programming mobile phone apps in
python, though haven't tried it yet. I guess that would be
with some QT toolkit (for Maemo/Meego) or some kind of Java
bridge (for Android).

Start with PySide, which is a Nokia version of PyQt. As such it
has a Meego package as part of PySide (called by some "Pythton
for Qt", a rather misleading name).

Al.

Rafe Kettler

Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

I've mainly used Tkinter for a few reasons:

- It's what I already know
- It's pretty simple
- Most people who have Python have it too, so there's no crazy
dependencies
- It looks decent on Gnome and KDE, good on Winodws and Mac
- I can develop a full featured GUI in a few hours, no sweat (partly
because it's simple, partly because I know it)

I've tried PyGTK and PyQt before, but they were both more complicated
than I'd like. I decided to stick with Tkinter because I was
proficient with it.

Rafe

Fred Pacquier

Robert said:
Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

If you are just now getting started, I would honestly suggest you save a
whole lot of time and dive straight into PyQt. I've tried most 'em over the
years (including some now discontinued), and in my experience Qt is way
above the rest, especially as far as consistency and productivity are
concerned. The Python bindings are very mature and well maintained, and go
a long way attenuating the evil C++ roots.

I havent tried Nokia's equivalent (PySide). I'm not sure what its fate will
turn out, given the company's change of heart and Microsoft honeymoon. At
least PyQt is't going anywhere soon.

YMMV, of course :)

OKB (not okblacke)

Robert said:
Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

I use Dabo, which wraps wxPython.

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell

Octavian Rasnita

From: "OKB (not okblacke) said:
I use Dabo, which wraps wxPython.

--

What's the advantage of using Dabo instead of wxPython directly?

Thanks.

Octavian

OKB (not okblacke)

Octavian said:
What's the advantage of using Dabo instead of wxPython directly?

Dabo gives you a much more intuitive and Pythonic API. There's
also a GUI designer for building apps graphically, although I haven't
really used that.

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell

Robert

You're probably best off with Pyjamas.  Then you get something that
runs on the web and on the desktop, from the same code - similar to
GWT, but for Python.  The desktop version runs overtop of CPython, the
web version is AJAX and is automatically translated from a very 2.x-ish
dialect of Python to Javascript.  Programming an AJAX app this way
feels just like programming to a set of desktop widgets - because they
are also desktop widgets.

But what OSes are you using?

Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

I am mostly on OSX...but I would target at least the big three
(Windows, Linux, OSX).