What do you use with Ruby for GUI programming and why?

Kaspar Schiess

I currently just use straight swing wrapper with jruby (wrapped to be
ruby friendlier). Unfortunately there's no clear winner, AFAIK.

If you leave cross-platform out of the question (which wasn't originally
part of it AFAIK), MacRuby and its friends produce amazing results for
OS X!

Plus: You can take advantage of the Interface Designer and all the other
OS goodies. Hard to beat.

*ducks the apple fanboy flaming*

Quintus

Am 14.03.2011 09:12, schrieb Dave Lilley:
Wxruby not used but think it'd be similar to fxruby.

I usually use wxRuby when coding GUIs and it's a wonderful tookit (it
comes with PLENTY of examples and quite good documentation), but on my
current machine it just doesn't run. I get plenty of segfaults with it.
Hopefully this will be resolved soon, because otherwise I have to recode
all the programs I've written with it...

Vale,
Marvin

J. K.

hi -

i also use ruby-gtk2, and i'm generally very happy with it. it uses
native widgets, and gives a 'natural' look to your apps. there's a bit
of a learning curve as with any toolkit, but once you get the hang of
it, it works really well.
i agree with the earlier post that the documentation is probably the
biggest benefit, and there's the gnome2 part of this forum which is
extremely helpful. it's also in active development which is a big plus!

there's also the glade ui designer, which i haven't used, but is
supposed to make gui programming with gtk easier...

-j

Michel

Hi

Formerly I used Tk but now, I am using ruby-gtk2 because i found it very
versatile and because it has a good documentation. I also like its
object oriented design.
I use it on windows (XP, 7) and linux (Fedora) without any change in my
ruby 1.8.7 code.

Michel.

[::psyomn::]

What is the reason you switched from TK? Did you also feel that tk did not have enough features (and documentation)?

I was using Tk for a while, but those were the reason I stopped. I might give something else listed in this thread a
jab.

Simon

Michel

Tk has certainly been improved but when I was using it, it had not as
many features as Gtk2, for example list boxes or tree views with
sortable columns. That's the main reason why I switched.

Michel.

Marc Heiler

For me I did not like Tk, neither the look nor the documentation.

I used FXRuby for some time but FXRuby died when FOX died.

Basically I had a choice between qtruby and ruby-gtk/gnome and although
I think Qt4 is now better than Gtk2, the documentation of ruby-gtk was
better so I started to use ruby-gtk.

Regis d'Aubarede

Robert wrote in post #986825:
Is there a push to one toolkit or the other?

I use Shoes for little application :
* on windows, run very quikly : 1/2s for main window ready
* test on ubuntu generaly work directly

The main issues is with Treading with 1.9 : i use a queue
in output of thread, and read the queue periodicly qith an every()

Roger Pack

I currently just use straight swing wrapper with jruby (wrapped to be
Roger, is that wrapper input_form?

A few months ago I learned of Monkeybars and had planned to learn it,
but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm still wondering what the
advantages of it (or other wrappers) over raw Swing are.

No it's just some homebrew stuff.
wrapper:
https://github.com/rdp/sensible-cinema/blob/master/lib/swing_helpers.rb
its use: