When will VS2005 support nested Master Pages in design mode?

Rolf Welskes

Hello,
for a large web site project we would like to use nested Master Pages.

Unfortunely VS2005 is not able to show pages in design mode when
nested Master pages are used.

This has the consequence that also each content page cannot be used in
design mode.

It is impossible to design hundrets of pages in source mode without design
mode.

Question:
can it be that there will be an update or service pack for Visual Studio
2005 in
the near future and that after this nested master pages are supported in
design mode ?

We would then wait with our work until it would be there.
In other case we must use another way.

Thank you for any help.
Rolf Welskes

blueskies

I have had some success designing the page content as a web user
component in the designer, testing it with dummy pages not based on the
master then finally creating a page based on the master which
incorporates the component.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Brians's informative inputs,

Hi Rolf,

Based on my research, this is a high priority feature request which is
voted frequently by community users. Our internal web platform & tools
team has recorded this request and plan to add the nested master page
design-time support in next release of Visual Studio(code name Orcas).

Here is the public request entry on the product feedback center:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feedbac
kID=103439

You can also vote on this request. As mentioned in the request entry, In
the current VS 2005 RTM version, you can at least specify that the
end-point content page or child master-pages simply define a
masterpagefile="" (empty string), that will still permit you to go to
design-view. However, you'll need to put back the real value for the
runtime.

Anyway, the product team has put high priority on these features(like the
nested master page or global master page in web.config's design-time
support) since these features is conform to the best practices we recommend
to develop reusable and maintainable web application.

If you have any other requests or commens, also welcome to submit in the
feedback center:

http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng