Copyright

Luigi Donatello Asero

Do you happen to know why Google shows this map of Italy (ITALY.gif
300 x 328 pixlar - 25k)
which is on my
website without writing the complete adress of the source?
http://images.google.se/images?q=karta+Italien&hl=sv
Do you know how I can get in touch with Google for such matters?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

SpaceGirl

Luigi said:
Do you happen to know why Google shows this map of Italy (ITALY.gif
300 x 328 pixlar - 25k)
which is on my
website without writing the complete adress of the source?
http://images.google.se/images?q=karta+Italien&hl=sv
Do you know how I can get in touch with Google for such matters?

Google indexes millions of images. The idea I suppose is that if someone
is looking for a map, they find it via google images, get the one from
your site. If they then want to use it for something they need to
contact you.

As for stopping google from indexing images from your site, ask yourself
this; your entire SITE appears via google searches, yes? So why not images?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

Arne

Once said:
Do you happen to know why Google shows this map of Italy (ITALY.gif
300 x 328 pixlar - 25k)
which is on my
website without writing the complete adress of the source?
http://images.google.se/images?q=karta+Italien&hl=sv
Do you know how I can get in touch with Google for such matters?

Because it's on a https URL?

Get in toutch (for removal of pages) go to
http://www.google.se/intl/sv/remove.html (in Swedish)

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote

Luigi Donatello Asero

SpaceGirl said:
Google indexes millions of images. The idea I suppose is that if someone
is looking for a map, they find it via google images, get the one from
your site. If they then want to use it for something they need to
contact you.

I know that they should get in touch with me but, unfortunately, I have
already had problems with that because
someone else had used it without getting in touch with me and published a
map on another website.
The map has been canceled by that site after I have got in touch with them.

As for stopping google from indexing images from your site, ask yourself
this; your entire SITE appears via google searches, yes? So why not images?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

As for stopping google from indexing images from your site, ask yourself
this; your entire SITE appears via google searches, yes? So why not
images?

This is not the problem. The problem is that they did not write the source
below the image
Compare the way my map has been displayed with the way Google displayed the
others.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/karta-italien.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

Arne said:
Because it's on a https URL?

Perhaps. But why do they write the begin of the adress
"https etc. etc" no domain name and then the file?
Would it not be better
https:domainname and then dot dot ?
For example
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/....
Get in toutch (for removal of pages) go to
http://www.google.se/intl/sv/remove.html (in Swedish)

Thank you.
The problem is more complex, though, because they still index the map which
has been put on another website without my permission although the map is
not
longer there (see my previous post in this thread)

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/karta-italien.php

Arne

Once said:
Perhaps. But why do they write the begin of the adress
"https etc. etc" no domain name and then the file?
Would it not be better
https:domainname and then dot dot ?
For example
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/....

Thank you.
The problem is more complex, though, because they still index the map which
has been put on another website without my permission although the map is
not
longer there (see my previous post in this thread)

Youy can't do much about what allready happend, but if you like to
avoid it in the future (try at least), then do as they advice here:

http://www.google.se/intl/sv/remove.html#images
(add a robot.txt file)

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote
* How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

Luigi Donatello Asero

Arne said:
Because it's on a https URL?

Get in toutch (for removal of pages) go to
http://www.google.se/intl/sv/remove.html (in Swedish)

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote
* How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

They published some instructions for website administrators to let
Google remove a certain image from the search engine.
"Ta bort en bild från Googles bildsökning"
But how do I do with the image which has been published without permission
on the other site and which has been removed by that site after I got i
touch with them and asked them kindly to do so?
(If there were other sites which get many visits every day and would like to
publish the map on the website writing the source, that means the URL of the
website of my one-man business,
they should get in touch with me via e-mail or fax or by letter and ask me
if they could do so)
--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

Arne said:
Youy can't do much about what allready happend, but if you like to
avoid it in the future (try at least), then do as they advice here:

http://www.google.se/intl/sv/remove.html#images
(add a robot.txt file)

Ok.
I began with this

Disallow: /images/ITALYJ.jpg
Disallow:/images/ITALY.gif

and saved it as robots.txt
within www.

Is that right?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

Arne

Once said:
They published some instructions for website administrators to let
Google remove a certain image from the search engine.
"Ta bort en bild från Googles bildsökning"
But how do I do with the image which has been published without permission
on the other site and which has been removed by that site after I got i
touch with them and asked them kindly to do so?
(If there were other sites which get many visits every day and would like to
publish the map on the website writing the source, that means the URL of the
website of my one-man business,
they should get in touch with me via e-mail or fax or by letter and ask me
if they could do so)

You mean, if someone do it like Google do, linking to your image on
your server (website) and not copy it for use on their own server?

Linking to the image on your server is called hotlinking and if you
are on a Apache web server, you can use mod_rewrite and .htaccess to
prevent any web page other than your own from accessing your images
(Google for hotlinking). One page where you can see how to do it:
http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/hotlinking-deep-linking.shtml

As soon as you publish something on a website, you are also in risk
that somebody can copy the whole or a part of the content, and upload
it to their own server, for use on their own site even without your
approval. That's something you can't prevent really. Just do what you
allready did, if you find the copied content on a site where it should
not be. If it's not removed, you can complain to the websites host and
maybee sue the owner of the website if you feel it's worth it.

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote
* How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Donatello Asero quothed:
I know that they should get in touch with me but, unfortunately, I have
already had problems with that because
someone else had used it without getting in touch with me and published a
map on another website.
The map has been canceled by that site after I have got in touch with them.

Most so-called copyrighted web content isn't. How did *you* acquire the
image?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Donatello Asero quothed:
them.

Most so-called copyrighted web content isn't. How did *you* acquire the
image?

Scaiecat Spa Gigi (the name of my one-man business) bought the images.
They were made for Scaiecat Spa Gigi and I have the invoice
and also a statement in Italian which says (approximately)
that they have disposed all the rights to Scaiecat Spa Gigi concerning the
images of the "cartine Italia" created by (name of the organisation) and
acquired by Scaiecat Spa Gigi. There is also a reference to the invoice.
This statement has been sent to me by the organisation which disposed these
rights (perhaps cooperative society is the right term in English, I am not
sure but that should not play any role as much as it concerns my rights)

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

Arne said:
You mean, if someone do it like Google do, linking to your image on
your server (website) and not copy it for use on their own server?

Linking to the image on your server is called hotlinking and if you
are on a Apache web server, you can use mod_rewrite and .htaccess to
prevent any web page other than your own from accessing your images
(Google for hotlinking). One page where you can see how to do it:
http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/hotlinking-deep-linking.shtml

Do you mean that I would prevent Google and all others to link to the images
which are on my website if I used this method?
As soon as you publish something on a website, you are also in risk
that somebody can copy the whole or a part of the content, and upload
it to their own server, for use on their own site even without your
approval. That's something you can't prevent really.

I think that I had read something similar on this NG.
Would it have been more difficult to copy them if I had ordered some maps in
pdf ?
Of course I could put the images on pages which are protected by password.
see
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/karta-italien.php
But the main problems in this case were
1) that I was not informed that they wanted to put the map on their site
2) most importantly that they did not write any source

Just do what you
allready did, if you find the copied content on a site where it should
not be. If it's not removed, you can complain to the websites host and
maybee sue the owner of the website if you feel it's worth it.

The map of Italy in question is not longer on their website.
But there is still the link from Google to their website and this link
displays the image with reference to their website.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
of ask

Do you mean that I would prevent Google and all others to link to the images
which are on my website if I used this method?

I think that I had read something similar on this NG.
Would it have been more difficult to copy them if I had ordered some maps in
pdf ?
Of course I could put the images on pages which are protected by password.
see
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/karta-italien.php
But the main problems in this case were
1) that I was not informed that they wanted to put the map on their site
2) most importantly that they did not write any source

To clarify:
The maps of Italy as well as other pictures and information about Sweden and
Italy should work as a kind of informative
background to get accesses to my website by people who are interested in
these countries because I offer services and wares on my website which are
connected to these countries (for example intermediation for rent of holiday
lodgings)
The idea of the maps of Italy was later that people might be interested to
pay some money to see these maps for a short time.
Perhaps the price was not the right one but I had no experience with that.
So, that´s why I am not glad when someone loads one of my maps of Italy on
another website without even writing any source.
Had they written the source, I might have got visits from their website.
But they removed the image in a short time after I had got in touch with
them and I appreciated that, anyway.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Luigi Donatello Asero said:
which are on my website if I used this method?

[cut]
To clarify:
The maps of Italy as well as other pictures and information about Sweden and
Italy should work as a kind of informative
background to get accesses to my website by people who are interested in
these countries

I meant:
The maps of Italy as well as other pictures and information about Sweden and
Italy should work as a kind of informative background for the users so that
I get accesses to my website by people who are interested in
these countries

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

the idiot

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I know that they should get in touch with me but, unfortunately, I have
already had problems with that because
someone else had used it without getting in touch with me and published a
map on another website.
The map has been canceled by that site after I have got in touch with them.
do you own the rights to the italian coastline?

Luigi Donatello Asero

the idiot said:
do you own the rights to the italian coastline?
Parli del diritto di transito?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
(yo soy italiano mas vivo en Suecia)
(je suis italien mais j'habite en Suède)
(ich bin Italiener aber ich lebe in Schweden)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Luigi Donatello Asero quothed:
Scaiecat Spa Gigi (the name of my one-man business) bought the images.
They were made for Scaiecat Spa Gigi and I have the invoice
and also a statement in Italian which says (approximately)
that they have disposed all the rights to Scaiecat Spa Gigi concerning the
images of the "cartine Italia" created by (name of the organisation) and
acquired by Scaiecat Spa Gigi. There is also a reference to the invoice.
This statement has been sent to me by the organisation which disposed these
rights (perhaps cooperative society is the right term in English, I am not
sure but that should not play any role as much as it concerns my rights)

All that doesn't matter *if* the image is just a simple, basically
uncustomized map. However, if there are lay-ins of little villas dotted
around the countryside or something of that nature specifically related
to your enterprise, you may have a case. Even so, trying to bring legal
action into such matters can be pretty futile, especially if you're not
willing to spend more than you can possibly gain.

Hywel Jenkins

do you own the rights to the italian coastline?

That's irrelevant. If I take a photograph of you, I own the copyright
to that photo even though it's of your face.

Hywel Jenkins

Do you happen to know why Google shows this map of Italy (ITALY.gif
300 x 328 pixlar - 25k)
which is on my
website without writing the complete adress of the source?
http://images.google.se/images?q=karta+Italien&hl=sv
Do you know how I can get in touch with Google for such matters?

It's a search result. That's what Google does - it makes search
results. Are you bothered that they've indexed the text of your site,
too? Are you going to go after every other search engine that shows
your images?