Defeating Pop-up stoppers please?

Whitecrest

adresse- said:
Using Windows to have IE and see your website would probably limit my
experience more than using Firebird...
By the way, even your page who says that frames are not supported uses
Javascript... don't you think that browsers that don't supporte frames
are not very likely to support javascript ?

What ever floats your boat.

Whitecrest

My God - we wouldn't ever put a site live before testing it
across 3 platforms and a dozen browsers.

impressive (probably a lie, but an impressive one)
And we don't even use javascript for navigation!

Good for you. Probably keeps all those linx users running back for
more....

Whitecrest

Calling me a liar when you know nothing about me is rather a
liberty.

I did not call you a liar, I said it was probably a lie, and an
impressive one at that..... But, good riddance (though I seriously
doubt you will stop reading my posts)

DU

Bill said:
Thanks Adrian,
I think that's a far better approach.
Bill

Bill,

1- Learn how to post. Avoid multi-posting all the time, forever. So far
you've multi-posted your issue in 2 newsgroups and generated a lot of
replies: the whole discussion is fragmented, people are repeating
themselves, etc.. Argh... Bill, learn the usenet basics!!
2- Avoid top-posting. You top-post all the time.
3- Learn good coding techniques and sound web design; there are good
tutorials available for you.
4- Concentrate on making your site accessible, usable, relying on valid
markup code and valid CSS, tableless design, etc..
5- Work/focus on your content, not on bells and whistles and javascript
tricks.

These are the measures to take in order to make a winning website:
trying to bypass popup blocking software will never help you achieve a
good website. In fact, it might just be end up to be another complicated
way to defeat your website.

DU

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
impressive (probably a lie, but an impressive one)

It always makes good sense to test a site across as many platforms and user
agents as you can. If Grunff has these facilities, more power to him for
using them.
Good for you. Probably keeps all those linx users running back for
more....

That was just a silly comment. I'm sorry Whitecrest. We have had some good
correspondence on this group. Sometimes I have agreed with you, sometimes
not, but I think mostly I have agreed with you. I have to say, though, if I
was in the position to be employing a web designer, and someone came along
who relied on javascript being available for navigation, I would be very
tempted to say "Please leave by the nearest exit. Sorry, that client-side
door handle is not active. You will have to use the window. I apologise for
the fact that this office is not located on the ground floor!"

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

nice.guy.nige

Please note that I do not subscribe to the ideas that I'm about to
pass along, but here are two beliefs that came up in another group,
about the phone spammers' responses to the DNC registry: 1) they
think that many of the registrants aren't saying they *will not buy*
from telemarketers, only that they don't want to be called; and/or 2)
they think that some of the registrants have registered because they
consider themselves *too weak* to resist the pitches, and they want
to not be tempted.

Maybe some of them consider themselves to weak to resist the urge to track
down the bastards who are phoning them, to systematically take out their
individual family members before tying them to a chair, cutting their ear
off, and then dousing them in petrol before waving a Zippo lighter in front
of them!!!

.......... really must subscribe to the UK
equivalent...........................

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

Whitecrest

That was just a silly comment. I'm sorry Whitecrest. We have had some good
correspondence on this group. Sometimes I have agreed with you, sometimes
not, but I think mostly I have agreed with you. I have to say, though, if I
was in the position to be employing a web designer, and someone came along
who relied on javascript being available for navigation, I would be very
tempted to say "Please leave by the nearest exit. Sorry, that client-side
door handle is not active. You will have to use the window. I apologise for
the fact that this office is not located on the ground floor!"

Yea, it was a silly comment, but I get tired of the same old arguments.
(You must agree that it goes in cycles around here...)

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:01:55 GMT, Adrienne is reported to have
stated:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Alan D-W"

Yes, considering I'm going to give birth to a baby boy any day now!

Going to call him Adrian? :-D

Kevin Scholl

Whitecrest said:
Made the change, thanks.

No problem, glad to help.
Actually referring back to a previous post as to why Firebird and others
will never take over IE. One of the main reason is that it will not run
Javascript and the DOM that will run in IE. If an IE user who visits a

Interestingly, I saw an article somewhere (wish I could find it again)
which showed, and supported with numbers, an interesting premise: if
Microsoft were to remove the code which allowed IE to do its guesswork
at code correction, and merely interpretted the code as parsed, the
application would be roughly half its current size.
site, that uses some of this code (document.frame), then switched to
Mozilla, the page will not work right. Which means (to the user) that
Mozzila is broke because it can not run a web page that runs fine in IE.

More and more people are becoming aware of the "other browsers" and
their superiority over IE. It's a slow process, but one that I suspect
will become more evident in the next 12-18 months, as people grow tired
of waiting for the next IE. Internet technology, browsers included,
moves too fast to leave a browser sitting idle for that long.
Even though Mozilla is RIGHT, it makes no difference to the user. The
web page that worked in IE no longer works in Mozila. They go back to
IE which worked (albeit for the wrong reasons) So if 80%+ of your users
use IE, the page had better work right in it.

Ah, but herein lies the point. For the most part, coding for the
standards means the site works in IE AND those other browsers. So the
question then becomes, why use proprietary IE coding to cater to the
majority, when using the standards approach nets you that majority
audience of IE PLUS a large chunk of the minority? Instead of supporting
your 80%, you could support easily over 90%! Seems like simple logic to me.
But this is neither here nor there, thanks for seeing the code error in
my script.

Kevin Scholl
(e-mail address removed)

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Mark Parnell
Sometime around Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:01:55 GMT, Adrienne is reported to
have stated:

Going to call him Adrian? :-D

Nope, Spane Anthony is the name. I work with two people who are both
Adrian's. It gets too confusing.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:29:48 GMT, Adrienne is reported to have
stated:
Nope, Spane Anthony is the name. I work with two people who are both
Adrian's. It gets too confusing.

We had a similar problem when my daughter was born a couple of months ago.
My wife works in childcare, so we had to find a name that a) We both liked
and b) Wasn't the name of a kid she had looked after.

Nico Schuyt

Whitecrest said:
If an IE
user who visits a site, that uses some of this code (document.frame),
then switched to Mozilla, the page will not work right. Which means
(to the user) that Mozzila is broke because it can not run a web page
that runs fine in IE.
Even though Mozilla is RIGHT, it makes no difference to the user. The
web page that worked in IE no longer works in Mozila. They go back to
IE which worked (albeit for the wrong reasons) So if 80%+ of your
users use IE, the page had better work right in it.

I agree with that.
In a former life I was in charge of quality control in a pharmaceutical
company. Once we got a lot of complaints that disintegration time in water
of our paracetamol tablets was too slow because the product of the
competitor disintegrated faster.
After weeks of explaining our product was compliant with all international
formal requirements, we changed the composition.
The definition of 'Quality' is 'The way your customer experiences it'.
Nico

Nico Schuyt

Whitecrest said:
though I seriously doubt you will stop reading my posts

So do I :) I sometimes disagree with your opinions, but they are always
refreshing. It's good to have someone in this ng who forces us tho revalue
and rethink our points of view.
Go on :)
Nico

Bill

Alan D-W said:
Adrian??? ROFL. I'm sure Adrienne will be pleased to have been
transsexualised.
OOOPS! - My apologies Adrienne. Sorry. [blush!]
So:
Thanks Adrienne,

DU said:
Bill,

1- Learn how to post. Avoid multi-posting all the time, forever. So far
you've multi-posted your issue in 2 newsgroups and generated a lot of
replies: the whole discussion is fragmented, people are repeating
themselves, etc.. Argh... Bill, learn the usenet basics!!

Thanks DU.
Will stop multi-posting.
Candidly, when I started I did not even know the difference between Java,
Java Applets & JavaScript. After feedback I have also gone to FAQs &
Newsgroup Netiquette site. I will not multi-post in future.
2- Avoid top-posting. You top-post all the time.
I have learnt that one too!

3- Learn good coding techniques and sound web design; there are good
tutorials available for you.
HTML is fine, but I know nothing about js so rely on copy & paste.

4- Concentrate on making your site accessible, usable, relying on valid
markup code and valid CSS, tableless design, etc..
I know basic HTML only - I use Hot Dog 5. By valid, I assume you mean that
it doesn't have stray <BR>s poking up into the page etc.
I don't know WHY tableless design but will take your word, and anothers,
for it.
Don't know CCS yet.

5- Work/focus on your content, not on bells and whistles and javascript
tricks.
I will focus on content but my marketing mentors say "always have popups".
I believe the day for popups is past. It's like the octagenarian
ex-businessman saying "You gotta have a Telex boy!"

These are the measures to take in order to make a winning website:
trying to bypass popup blocking software will never help you achieve a
good website. In fact, it might just be end up to be another complicated
way to defeat your website.

I'm beginning to believe that - I will have a "Click here for freebie" thing
so readers have a CHOICE of whether to go for freebie or not!

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:52:02 +0800, Bill is reported to have
stated:
I know basic HTML only - I use Hot Dog 5. By valid, I assume you mean that
it doesn't have stray <BR>s poking up into the page etc.

No, by valid he means conforming to the published specifications. (They can
be found at http://www.w3.org). The easiest way to check whether they do is
to run your pages through a validator, such as http://validator.w3.org. But
before doing that, it is probably a good idea to have a read of
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/validation.html
I don't know WHY tableless design but will take your word, and anothers,
for it.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Why_use_CSS

Don't know CCS yet.

That's CSS ;-). And now is a good time to start. If brucie were here (gee
I miss him), he'd give you a huge list of links. Here is a list he posted
in May (some may be out of date now):

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
ncis.de

Eric Bohlman

We had a similar problem when my daughter was born a couple of months
ago. My wife works in childcare, so we had to find a name that a) We
both liked and b) Wasn't the name of a kid she had looked after.

Wouldn't that require some serious psychic abilities? I should think that
one of the corrolaries to Murphy's law would imply that if the two of you
chose any name in the top 1000 baby names, someone with a kid by that exact
name would immediately move into your community and enroll their child in
your wife's facility. Unless you chose the type of name that only a
celebrity would choose.