Layout of this page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    rf, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    brucie, Nov 17, 2004
  4. "rf" <rf@.invalid> skrev i meddelandet
    news:TlHmd.39355$...
    > Luigi Donatello Asero
    >
    > > I wonder whether you think that the page
    > > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > > looks better or worse than
    > > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test3.html
    > > or may-be does not make any big difference.

    > They are both equally bad.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    What do you not like exactly and why?
    For example , contrast of the colours and so on.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.italymap.dk/
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > or may-be does not make any big difference.

    Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
    there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
    /amateurish/ and 1996.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Nov 17, 2004
  6. "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > or may-be does not make any big difference.

    > Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
    > there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
    > /amateurish/ and 1996.

    What about 1996?
    Please let me understand better your opinion and compare these pages with
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sangregoriodicatania.html
    Does the last mentioned page have a design?
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design,alt.html Dylan Parry
    said:

    >> or may-be does not make any big difference.

    > Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
    > there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
    > /amateurish/ and 1996.

    size is also an issue
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 17, 2004
  8. "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design,alt.html rf said:
    >
    > >> www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > >> looks better or worse than
    > >> www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test3.html
    > >> or may-be does not make any big difference.

    > > They are both equally bad.

    > aahhhhhhhaaaaaaaa what did you say that for? you made me look

    You do not seem to have much to say in the last time.
    I hope you are fine.

    --
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeiitalien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004
  9. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    >> or may-be does not make any big difference.

    > Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
    > there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
    > /amateurish/ and 1996.

    Ahh yes, 1996, the golden age of poor design!
    King of Red Lions, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > What about 1996?

    In 1996 almost all webpages were lacking in a decent layout and had
    colours that made one's eyes hurt.

    > Please let me understand better your opinion and compare these pages with
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sangregoriodicatania.html
    > Does the last mentioned page have a design?

    Sort of, but it is a very confusing one. Even if I could understand
    whatever that language is, I would probably still have trouble using the
    navigation of the site.

    There is far too much information on the page and it is all laid out.
    The table half way down the page is a prime example of this - I can't
    work out where the rows start and end, and what each row actually refers to.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Nov 17, 2004
  11. "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design,alt.html Dylan Parry
    > said:
    >
    > >> or may-be does not make any big difference.

    > > Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
    > > there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
    > > /amateurish/ and 1996.

    > size is also an issue

    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

    I agree. But on the other side the high number of pictures seem to attract
    many users
    (having a look at the statistics regarding the page)

    --
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boendeisverige.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004
  12. "King of Red Lions" <thaynes/no_spam/@gawab.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > >> or may-be does not make any big difference.

    > > Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
    > > there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
    > > /amateurish/ and 1996.
    > >

    > Ahh yes, 1996, the golden age of poor design!

    I find it strange to look at one whole year as something bad or good.
    May-be people designing in 1996 think that 2004 is the golden age of poor
    design or may-be people designing 2010 will do that.

    --
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/presentartiklar.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004
  13. "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > What about 1996?

    > In 1996 almost all webpages were lacking in a decent layout and had
    > colours that made one's eyes hurt.
    >
    > > Please let me understand better your opinion and compare these pages

    with
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sangregoriodicatania.html
    > > Does the last mentioned page have a design?

    > Sort of, but it is a very confusing one. Even if I could understand
    > whatever that language is, I would probably still have trouble using the
    > navigation of the site.

    Well, to know a language may be an advantage but perhaps not everyone is
    willing to learn it.
    > There is far too much information on the page and it is all laid out.
    > The table half way down the page is a prime example of this - I can't
    > work out where the rows start and end, and what each row actually refers

    to.

    So, do you mean that the cells in the table are not correctly associated to
    the data?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004
  14. "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > What about 1996?

    > In 1996 almost all webpages were lacking in a decent layout and had
    > colours that made one's eyes hurt.
    >
    > > Please let me understand better your opinion and compare these pages

    with
    > > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sangregoriodicatania.html
    > > Does the last mentioned page have a design?

    > Sort of, but it is a very confusing one. Even if I could understand
    > whatever that language is, I would probably still have trouble using the
    > navigation of the site.
    >
    > There is far too much information on the page and it is all laid out.

    Only that?

    --
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/de/ferienwohnung-italien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004
  15. "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > What about 1996?

    > In 1996 almost all webpages were lacking in a decent layout and had
    > colours that made one's eyes hurt.

    About colours having a very sharp contrast, may-be you refer to
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    mostly. Yet, I have to say that the very fact that you compare it to the
    design which was in trend in 1996 seems to show that it is more of a trend
    issue rather than a real problem.

    However the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test3.html
    has softer colours than http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    I think

    --
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/de/ferienwohnungen-italien.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Nov 17, 2004
  16. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > I wonder whether you think that the page
    > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > looks better or worse than
    > www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test3.html
    > or may-be does not make any big difference.

    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test3.html is the
    best of the two.

    Too many thumbnails on the front page. Title text
    for each image would improve usability.

    I think you need a logo of some sort to place in
    the top of all pages, it could be a plain <h1> in
    a well-chosen color if you aren't an artist....

    Don't "brag" about your coding, it isn't
    interesting for your customers to read whether the
    pages are valid 4.01 or not. Place that
    information on an "about" page.

    Your contact form is a mess... It's impossible to
    decide which question belongs to which field (the
    questions are too long and elaborate). And as a
    Norwegian, I do understand a bit of Swedish!

    Sidan 1 om svensk keramik - Sidan 4 om italiensk
    keramik: Try to sort the items into categories
    instead. "Page 1" doesn't mean anything!

    --
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    http://home.online.no/~ingerfaj/
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Nov 17, 2004
  17. Luigi Donatello Asero

    brucie Guest

    In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design,alt.html Luigi Donatello
    Asero said:

    >> size is also an issue
    >> http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

    > I agree. But on the other side the high number of pictures seem to attract
    > many users

    before i got weeeeeeeeee! installed the page would have taken well over
    2 minutes to download. i'm one visitor you would have lost at the 20
    second mark if not before.

    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 17, 2004
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    >>In 1996 almost all webpages were lacking in a decent layout and had
    >>colours that made one's eyes hurt.

    > About colours having a very sharp contrast, may-be you refer to
    > http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > mostly. Yet, I have to say that the very fact that you compare it to the
    > design which was in trend in 1996 seems to show that it is more of a trend
    > issue rather than a real problem.

    No, in 1996 WWW was pretty new and the technology for creating web pages
    was still being figured out. There were no "real" web browsers (ones
    that worked anyway) and the standards were still fairly fluid. Sites
    from that era (even the good ones) are terrible by today's standards.

    It's not a trend thing, it's a technology thing.

    Perhaps go have a look at http://www.coolhomepages.com and see what the
    professionals are building these days.

    Design your site on paper first. Then lay it out in PhotoShop or some
    other graphics program. When you can stand back and look at your drafts
    and you think that compares to a modern commercial site, then go and
    build an actual page.

    A good web site is as much about aesthetics and design sense as it is
    about the technical bits and pieces. And it's all useless if you don't
    have good content.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 17, 2004
  19. Luigi Donatello Asero

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "King of Red Lions" <thaynes/no_spam/@gawab.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Dylan Parry wrote:

    >>>Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
    >>>there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
    >>>/amateurish/ and 1996.
    >>>

    >>Ahh yes, 1996, the golden age of poor design!

    > I find it strange to look at one whole year as something bad or good.
    > May-be people designing in 1996 think that 2004 is the golden age of poor
    > design or may-be people designing 2010 will do that.

    You really need to do some research honey. The *design* part of web
    design is very important. You need to grasp that before you start
    putting pages together. Being able to stick HTML together does not make
    you a web designer.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 17, 2004
  20. "brucie" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design,alt.html Luigi Donatello
    > Asero said:
    >
    > >> size is also an issue

    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

    > > I agree. But on the other side the high number of pictures seem to

    attract
    > > many users

    > before i got weeeeeeeeee! installed the page would have taken well over
    > 2 minutes to download. i'm one visitor you would have lost at the 20
    > second mark if not before.

    Do you have a modem or ADSL?

    --
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/toscana.html