Layout of this page

Luigi Donatello Asero

rf said:
Luigi Donatello Asero

They are both equally bad.

What do you not like exactly and why?
For example , contrast of the colours and so on.

Dylan Parry

Luigi said:
or may-be does not make any big difference.

Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
/amateurish/ and 1996.

King of Red Lions

Dylan said:
Like Richard says, both are equally as bad. The problem here is that
there isn't really any design to the pages, and as such both look very
/amateurish/ and 1996.

Ahh yes, 1996, the golden age of poor design!

Dylan Parry

Luigi said:
What about 1996?

In 1996 almost all webpages were lacking in a decent layout and had
colours that made one's eyes hurt.
Please let me understand better your opinion and compare these pages with
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/sangregoriodicatania.html
Does the last mentioned page have a design?

Sort of, but it is a very confusing one. Even if I could understand
whatever that language is, I would probably still have trouble using the
navigation of the site.

There is far too much information on the page and it is all laid out.
The table half way down the page is a prime example of this - I can't
work out where the rows start and end, and what each row actually refers to.

Luigi Donatello Asero

King of Red Lions said:
Ahh yes, 1996, the golden age of poor design!

I find it strange to look at one whole year as something bad or good.
May-be people designing in 1996 think that 2004 is the golden age of poor
design or may-be people designing 2010 will do that.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Dylan Parry said:
In 1996 almost all webpages were lacking in a decent layout and had
colours that made one's eyes hurt.

Sort of, but it is a very confusing one. Even if I could understand
whatever that language is, I would probably still have trouble using the
navigation of the site.

Well, to know a language may be an advantage but perhaps not everyone is
willing to learn it.
There is far too much information on the page and it is all laid out.
The table half way down the page is a prime example of this - I can't
work out where the rows start and end, and what each row actually refers
to.

So, do you mean that the cells in the table are not correctly associated to
the data?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Dylan Parry said:
In 1996 almost all webpages were lacking in a decent layout and had
colours that made one's eyes hurt.

About colours having a very sharp contrast, may-be you refer to
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
mostly. Yet, I have to say that the very fact that you compare it to the
design which was in trend in 1996 seems to show that it is more of a trend
issue rather than a real problem.

However the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test3.html
has softer colours than http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
I think

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

Luigi said:
I wonder whether you think that the page
www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
looks better or worse than
www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test3.html
or may-be does not make any big difference.

http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/test3.html is the
best of the two.

Too many thumbnails on the front page. Title text
for each image would improve usability.

I think you need a logo of some sort to place in
the top of all pages, it could be a plain <h1> in
a well-chosen color if you aren't an artist....

Don't "brag" about your coding, it isn't
interesting for your customers to read whether the
pages are valid 4.01 or not. Place that
information on an "about" page.

Your contact form is a mess... It's impossible to
decide which question belongs to which field (the
questions are too long and elaborate). And as a
Norwegian, I do understand a bit of Swedish!

Sidan 1 om svensk keramik - Sidan 4 om italiensk
keramik: Try to sort the items into categories
instead. "Page 1" doesn't mean anything!

brucie

In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design,alt.html Luigi Donatello
Asero said:
I agree. But on the other side the high number of pictures seem to attract
many users

before i got weeeeeeeeee! installed the page would have taken well over
2 minutes to download. i'm one visitor you would have lost at the 20
second mark if not before.

SpaceGirl

Luigi said:
About colours having a very sharp contrast, may-be you refer to
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
mostly. Yet, I have to say that the very fact that you compare it to the
design which was in trend in 1996 seems to show that it is more of a trend
issue rather than a real problem.

No, in 1996 WWW was pretty new and the technology for creating web pages
was still being figured out. There were no "real" web browsers (ones
that worked anyway) and the standards were still fairly fluid. Sites
from that era (even the good ones) are terrible by today's standards.

It's not a trend thing, it's a technology thing.

Perhaps go have a look at http://www.coolhomepages.com and see what the
professionals are building these days.

Design your site on paper first. Then lay it out in PhotoShop or some
other graphics program. When you can stand back and look at your drafts
and you think that compares to a modern commercial site, then go and
build an actual page.

A good web site is as much about aesthetics and design sense as it is
about the technical bits and pieces. And it's all useless if you don't
have good content.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Luigi said:
I find it strange to look at one whole year as something bad or good.
May-be people designing in 1996 think that 2004 is the golden age of poor
design or may-be people designing 2010 will do that.

You really need to do some research honey. The *design* part of web
design is very important. You need to grasp that before you start
putting pages together. Being able to stick HTML together does not make
you a web designer.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)