Could someone help me?

MarcJessome

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me through learning C++.
I've tried learning before, but I find I would work better if I had
someone that could help explain a few things to me. Im using Bruce
Eckel's Thinking in C++, but I have used others before. I use msn, icq
and aim if its possible for someone to help me on an instant messenger.

Thanks,
Marc

Josh Mcfarlane

MarcJessome said:
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me through learning C++.
I've tried learning before, but I find I would work better if I had
someone that could help explain a few things to me. Im using Bruce
Eckel's Thinking in C++, but I have used others before. I use msn, icq
and aim if its possible for someone to help me on an instant messenger.

Thanks,
Marc

If you have a few concepts that you need explained, check the FAQ first
(http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/) and search the newsgroup for
make a post. I'm sure the collective brains of everyone might be able
to point you in the right direction.

The easiest way to learn is to just pick a goal to design for, then
just play around trying to get it right, reading up on the functions
you're using and design techniques along the way. It's hard to pick up
just reading without actually hands-on projects, but at the same time,
it's hard to completely get by just messing around, so try to get a
good balance of both.

Josh McFarlane

MarcJessome

Thanks Josh, that was a really good tip! My big problem is that Bruce
Eckel's book has excercises that you havent even been taught to do. I
was struggling with one for 4 hours, and then when I looked at the
solution I found out the book hadnt taught half the stuff. What got me
even more annoyed was that the solution didnt explain each piece of the
code! Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
Marc

Josh Mcfarlane

MarcJessome said:
Thanks Josh, that was a really good tip! My big problem is that Bruce
Eckel's book has excercises that you havent even been taught to do. I
was struggling with one for 4 hours, and then when I looked at the
solution I found out the book hadnt taught half the stuff. What got me
even more annoyed was that the solution didnt explain each piece of the
code! Am I doing something wrong?

I doubt you're doing anything wrong in terms of trying t learn, you may
just be missing some of things that the author would assume you'd just
"pick up". Try poking around on the internet some too. There's plenty
of examples out there that step you through making certain applications
and algorithms and explain alot of detail behind what they are doing.

If you can't find the explanation in the book about a piece of code,
you can always take the function / class and chunk it into google to
learn about it, that will at least give you a place to start, and then
you can try to look back and figure out what they were doing with it.

HTH,
Josh McFarlane