counting number of reports in the message window within Modelsim

G buf thing

Hi,

I am running a simulation in Modelsim and want to know have to read the number of "report severity warning messages" reported within the simulation. The following format is used within the RTL code: report "CRC fail" severity warning; . The number of these warnings can be viewed in the messagewindow, I wish to be able to read this value within the simulation script to ensure that the value does not change.
The version of Modelsim being used is 5.0c.

Thanks

Jon

Jim Lewis

I use UNIX utilities such as cygwin or mingw to post process the transcript window.

The following will get you all occurrences of your text:
grep -i "CRC fail"

To get a count pass it to wc:
grep -i "CRC fail" | wc

This will give you three count values, such as 21 168 917
They are lines, words, and characters.

Jim Lewis

I use UNIX utilities such as cygwin or mingw to post process the transcript file.

The following will get you all occurrences of your text:
grep -i "CRC fail"

To get a count pass it to wc:
grep -i "CRC fail" | wc

This will give you three count values, such as 21 168 917
They are lines, words, and characters.

HT-Lab

Hi,

I am running a simulation in Modelsim and want to know have to read the number of "report severity warning messages" reported within the simulation. The following format is used within the RTL code: report "CRC fail" severity warning; . The number of these warnings can be viewed in the message window, I wish to be able to read this value within the simulation script to ensure that the value does not change.

Look up the "assertion count" command in the reference manual.