how are asp 3.0 and asp.net different/similar?

Steve Richter

I am interviewing in a day or two for an asp 3.0 job. The headhunter
also mentioned c++ MFC and COM. I can handle the mfc and com stuff, but
the only asp I know is asp.net.

Based on that, what do I already know and what dont I know about asp
3.0?

also, how will COM objects be routinely used from ASP 3.0 code.

thanks,

-Steve

Tom.PesterDELETETHISSS

Apply for another job :) I programmed in classic asp for 3 years and the
differences are it aint OO, you use vbscript and old school recordset ADO.
If you want to create an object you do it with server.createobject.

Cheers,
Tom Pester

Sosh

I agree! If you come from a C++ (or any OO) background you will find
classic asp extreemly tedious. Would be bad career move IMO too, as I
doubt it will be used for that much longer (surely?) other than for
legacy reasons, really not worth learning. And VBScript is rubbish.
Plus I'm sure there are many more classic asp peeps out there than
asp.net ones, why not find an asp.net job if you have the skill?

If you really need the job though, the way you use COM objects in asp3
is something like:

set someObject = Server.createObject(id)

where someObject is your instance and id is the type of object,
usually [vendor.]component[.versionNo]

Dont do it!