How much should I charge for fixed-price software contract?

Guest

I've never used Oracle..
..so I think I'm well qualified for an entry-level Oracle position.

Right !!!!!!!!!!!

Maas, a lucrative career as a comedian awaits you !

Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

From: Ulrich Hobelmann said:
You guys didn't eat lunch?

I don't know what you mean by "lunch" in that context. My work
situation wasn't like high school when we had a class from 8-9 then
another class from 9-10 then another class from 10-11 then another
class from 11-12 then a less-than-one-hour break when the cafeteria was
serving **LUNCH** which was the only food available all day there, then
another class from <13-<14 then another class from <14-<15. At work at
Stanford IMSSS, we had flexible hours. Except when there was a
scheduled meeting, we came to work whenever we could, and worked as
late into the night as we felt like, except in the Winter when the
steam plant was turned off at a certain time and my office, with bay
windows, got unbearably cold within about 10-20 minutes after
steam-off. Whenever one of us got hungry, we logged out, locked our
office, and went somewhere nearby to get a snack, then came back. The
nearest food place was some vending machines across the street in
another building. The burritos, with microwave oven, were usually the
best food available. I never once saw a co-worker there at the same
time I was there, and only rarely saw some stranger from another
building there. When I went to get food from the vending machines, I
didn't bother to give my eating-time a specific name such as "lunch".
Obviously your question is meaningless in regard to socializing with
co-workers, the topic of this sub-thread.

Barry Margolin

From: Ulrich Hobelmann <[email protected]>
You guys didn't eat lunch?

[...]
co-workers, the topic of this sub-thread.[/QUOTE]

So, when you got hungry, why didn't you ask one of your coworkers if
they wanted to go get something to eat in the cafeteria or sub shop with
you? No one forced you to eat alone, you could have gotten other to go
along with you.

When I worked in a software engineering job, we also worked flexible
hours, but a bunch of us usually went out to lunch together anyway.

Finally, there are other ways to socialize at work. Don't you ever go
into your colleague's office/cube to discuss a problem you're having?
Also, I know you said "I wasn't paid to socialize, I was paid to work",
but I've never been in a high-tech workplace where people just worked
continuously. Don't you ever take breaks and shoot the breeze? Some
people go out for smoking breaks, some get coffee, some just pop out
into the hallways -- no company I've ever worked for has ever had a
problem with this, as long as you get your work done as well. The same
attitude that allows you to work flexible hours also allows you
flexibility in how you schedule your time *at* work.

Weren't there ever any social events at work, or organized by the
office? Many companies have formal holiday parties, departments often
have gift swaps at Xmas time, some groups have a monthly or quarterly
celebration of birthdays, summer picnics or outings, etc.

Or socializing with your coworkers *outside* of work hours -- at one of
my jobs, a bunch of us often went out to a movie on Friday night after
work. Or people throw parties and invite their colleagues.

If you didn't get to know your coworkers, it's really your own fault. I
admit that at some of my jobs I didn't really fit in socially, but I
never blamed the job.

Shiro Kawai

Followup set to comp.programming.
So that's yet another reason I wouldn't be able to install it on my
personal account on my Unix ISP shell account. So the next time
somebody tells me I should learn Oracle, I can tell them to **** Off
not once but three times (disk, RAM, root).

HP offers testdrive where you can evaluate their various platforms
with software, including Oracle. It's free to get a telnet account.

http://www.testdrive.hp.com/
So back on topic: Is there any employer who would hire me for an
entry-level position programming with Java or CommonLisp (CL) through
ODBC to Oracle which they already have installed on their monstrous
computer whose shell is accessible from here via TELNET or SSH? I've
never used Oracle, and can't ever until you hire me, but I already know
how to write Java/ODBC code that works equally well with MicroSoft
ACCESS and CloudScape/Derby, so I think I'm well qualified for an
entry-level Oracle position.

What you describe about Java/ODBC doens't count much in terms
of qualification. Since learning APIs is one of the easiest
part of the job, I'd rather seek for the right attitude towards
solving problems, rather than knowledge of particular technology,
as the qualification for an entry position. BTW, being good at
finding excuses not to do things earns a big negative score.

If you want your experience counted, I suggest to include how
much size your ODBC project was (approx. number of records,
number of transactions, number of users, years you maintained it,
etc), unless it was just a toy project. If you say you had
millions of records and dealt with tens of transactions per second,
for example, that counts. Even when it's a small size database,
if it was actively used by lots of users and you've maintaned
it for years, it counts.

Richard Heathfield

Barry Margolin said:
I don't know what you mean by "lunch" in that context.
[/QUOTE]

So, when you got hungry, why didn't you [...]

I am beginning to think that Mr Maas has been gently trolling us. He's
actually got us to the point where he can say "I don't know what you mean
by 'lunch'" and still have some of us take him seriously!

Andrew Thompson

From: Ulrich Hobelmann <[email protected]>
You guys didn't eat lunch?

I don't know what you mean by "lunch" in that context.
So, when you got hungry, why didn't you [...]

I am beginning to think that Mr Maas has been gently trolling us.

Ya' THINK SO?

ShhEEEsh! I've been trying to beat down his last 20(?)
posts before all the hopeless, helpful, sod's fall for
his latest effort. The occasional one I miss draws yet
more suckers.

To Robert. I tip my hat. You are an *excellent* troll.

And if the rest of you people INSIST on conitinuing threads
of this nature, please learn to set follow-ups to a SINGLE
group.

[ Follow-Ups to this post set to alt.kook ONLY ]

--
Andrew Thompson
"I don't wanna' be like other people are. Don't wanna' own a key, don't

Alan Balmer

That phrase makes no sense to me. Who you are is you, exactly you, and
nothing else except you. To say that you are somebody other than
yourself is nonsense. It makes no sense to tell somebody who you are
because you are you and they already know you are you.

<sigh> I've finally had enough. This newsgroup is not appropriate for
thousands of lines relating to the ongoing tale of one man's effort to
find employment. You have the honor of joining a very select group. I
have filtered only two others from this newsgroup.

Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

Note: I'm currently seeking work, preferably programming in Lisp or Java.
From: Barry Margolin <[email protected]>
when you got hungry, why didn't you ask one of your coworkers if they
wanted to go get something to eat in the cafeteria or sub shop with
you?

Your question has nothing to do with Java, so why are you posting it in
comp.lang.java.programmer? Where do you want me to answer your question?
Don't you ever go into your colleague's office/cube to discuss a
problem you're having?

We were specifically forbidden to do that.
Some people go out for smoking breaks

I wouldn't want to be within 50 feet of somebody smoking. I get sick
from the smell.
If you didn't get to know your coworkers, it's really your own fault.

Only one of my co-workers was in any way friendly toward me, and he
moved to San Francisco before the project was finished, so there was no
chance of maintaining social contact with him. Are you suggesting I
should have rummaged around the building harassing people who didn't
want anything social to do with me, repeatedly begging them to change
their attitude and become my friends? If somebody acted like they
didn't want anything personal to do with me, I left them alone. Was
that wrong?

If you have any further questions specific about me, why don't you join
my Yahoo! Group and ask the questions there, instead of posting the
questions to these newsgroups and expecting me to answer here?

Andrew Thompson

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:00:00 -0700, Robert Maas, see
...I left them alone. Was that wrong?

Given your personality, no. That was simply being decent.
Now why don't display that you still have some of that
decency remaining?

[ Follow-Ups set to alt.kook only ]

From: Richard Heathfield <[email protected]>
I am beginning to think that Mr Maas has been gently trolling us.
He's actually got us to the point where he can say "I don't know what
you mean by 'lunch'" and still have some of us take him seriously!

You're taking a fragment out of context. The context was my work at
Stanford. The situation was that I worked alone until I got hungry
enough to prompt me to stop work and lock up and go across the street
to get a vending-machine burrito, then back to work. There was no such
thing as standard meals at the same time every day, nothing that would
deserve a name such as "lunch". So in that context, the word "lunch" is
meaningless.

I suppose I could have just posted a criptic minimal answer to the
direct question (>>> quoted above): "I didn't." and left everyone
wondering what that was supposed to mean. But actually one of my
vending-machine snacks might qualify as "lunch" in the mind of whoever
asked that question, so I really don't know what the question was
supposed to mean in that context.

Joan

This is the first I've ever heard of such. All the information
I got
previously was that Oracle is the high-end commercial RDBS that
hardly
anybody can afford and so there's no way they'd give it away
for free.
If I ever can get the modem on my laptop working again, I might
see
about downloading the free Oracle. Thanks for the clue, even
though I
can't make any use of it at present.

Yes it is free for developers, I downloaded it for windows xp and
it works fine.
My guess is that projects that use oracle are not simple things
that get
developed in a few days and that if the developer needs to buy a
copy of Oracle at
a high price to build a prototype, they might just as well use
another db instead.

Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

(Note: I'm still available for work programming, such as Lisp or Java.)
From: Duane Bozarth <[email protected]>
I think you need to figure out how to use what you were trained in.

I was never trained in anything. I mostly just learned things on my
own, by practicing with whatever facilities were available (IBM 1620 +
card reader with Fortran With Format and SPS, IBM 360/50h + card reader
with Fortran IV and Watfor, IBM 1130 + card reader with Fortran IV,
PDP-10 + III terminals (and later also DataDisk terminals) with SAIL,
FAIL, and Stanford Lisp 1.6 (and later also ILISP = UCI-LISP), PDP-10
via ArpaNet/AmesTIP with MacLisp and MacSyma, IBM 370 + Wylbur with
Fortran IV and WatFiv, PDP-10 with MainSail, PDP-10 with SL and PSL,
Macintosh Plus with HyperCard and Pocket Forth and Sesame C and
Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp, Unix shells via VT100 dialup with GNU C
and CMUCL and J2SE and lots of other programming languages, Linux
laptop with J2EE I installed myself and GNU Emacs Lisp and BeanShell.
Generally I consulted reference manuals, and more recently
Web-accessible tutorials. Once in a long while somebody coached me a
little, such as when somebody suggested I try SAIL instead of the
cruddy Fortran they had, and when Hans Moravec told me how R.E.P.
works, and when somebody told me about the existance of MacSyma at
MIT-ML accessible via the ArpaNet. More recently I've occasionally
gotten stuck and asked for help on a newsgroup and gotten a useful
answer, such as when I was stuck trying to get PHP to work, and
somebody told me about .htaccess which I needed to set up to enable
PHP, after which I could then proceed to learn PHP from online
documentation without any further human help.

The recent classes I took (Visual Basic, Java, C++) weren't training,
they were just lecture plus homework assignments I had to do all by
myself (except for two group projects we were assigned, and a couple
times I needed extra help from the instructor, first what driver and
URL needed to use any RDBMS on the campus machine, which turned out to
be MicroSoft ACCESS via ODBC, after instructor tried to download and
install MySql and a couple others only to find that none of them would
work there due to various firewall protection and lack of root access,
and second which version of J2EE to install on my laptop which already
had J2SE 1.3.1 on it, and the answer was 1.3.1 instead of 1.4 as
originally instructed by syllabus, because only 1.3.1 would work
correctly with J2SE 1.3.1 already on my laptop; Note that my instructor
didn't know about CloudScape/Derby which was already included in the
J2EE that I had already downloaded at that point. I discovered that by
accident while researching Google, and checked and found indeed it was
already on my machine and worked just fine.).

So given the many skills I learned on my own, none of which are
sufficient for any jobs I've seen advertised any time in the past ten
years, I have no idea what jobs you meant by the remark I quoted above.
I already know how to use what I've taught myself. I just don't know
how to get paid for any of that use. So assuming you meant to say:I have no idea how to do what you say. Please suggest how.

Duane Bozarth

(Note: I'm still available for work programming, such as Lisp or Java.)

I was never trained in anything. ...

You claim you have a BS in Mathematics and have at least some
credentials (albeit quite dated) that you at least demonstrated some an
apptitude there. I have suggested several times that you attempt to
make use of what appear to be your strengths.

Andrew Thompson

(Note: I'm still available for work programming, such as Lisp or Java.)

Oh joy. The thought of working in a team with *you* on
the project would make me not take the job. And I *need*
the money.

Robert, these are not - get 'you a job' groups.

Please find some Java technical matters to discuss, or cease
posting c.l.j.programmer.

[ Follow-Ups set appropriately. ]

Guest

So given the many skills I learned on my own, none of which are
sufficient for any jobs I've seen advertised any time in the past ten
years,
I already know how to use what I've taught myself. I just don't know
how to get paid for any of that use. So assuming you meant to say:
I have no idea how to do what you say. Please suggest how.

Maas, you need to get your mental health issue sorted out
first. They are the biggest barrier to your employment.

BTW, I wonder if you are the biggest failure among the putnam
winners or are the other winners bozos too ....

Alf P. Steinbach

* Robert Maas:

Well, you don't exactly make it easy for anyone to contact you:

E-mail: (e-mail address removed) with Subject field starting with the special
word ReSpam2002Jan08 -- Then immediately after sending me the e-mail, log
into my Web-alert system (username guest1, password free, unless you have
your own individual account), then click on button to see if I'm online,
and click on button to send me an online alert letting me know to look at
the e-mail you already sent.

(Note: I'm still available for work programming, such as Lisp or Java.)

Why don't you contact a few companies in the vicinity of where you live.

Look neat, be nice, and just visit them.

Try to focus on what you can do for them (good technical problem solver, fast
learner, putnam winner etc.), and don't mention all that archaic technology...

cruddy Fortran they had, and when Hans Moravec told me how R.E.P.

.... and don't drop names like George Bush (or Hans Moravec) that causually in
mid-stream. That's darned _dumb_. You're begging for a job and don't want to
emphasize how far you've fallen. Of course it's difficult to get across what
you know without mentioning that. But the point is, what you know isn't
what's interesting to an employer, because all that's mostly old sh*t; the
important thing is your capacity for solving, working, and learning. Btw.,
don't use words like "cruddy" or "darned" or "sh*t". At least not at first.

Juha Laiho

(e-mail address removed) (Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t) said:
Note, not just "not to be sold". It is "not to be used in a production
environment" -- and even the conditions for the development use
are rather strict; if I recall correctly, the Oracle instance is
not to be utilised by more than two persons (and this doesn't mean
simultaneous access; this means access at all -- f.ex. the limit
is "you and your boss", but not "you, a co-worker and your boss").
So, if you're building a web-application on top of this developer
Oracle, you can only have one tester in addition to yourself.
There's no technical limit to this, however - the limit is purely
contractual.
This is the first I've ever heard of such. All the information I got
previously was that Oracle is the high-end commercial RDBS that hardly
anybody can afford and so there's no way they'd give it away for free.

Developer distributions for Oracle databases have been available for
download at Oracle Technet for at least three years now. I think
the available platforms are the same as for commercial distributions.
Note though, you may not get an up-to-date version, and updates and
patches are only available for customers with an existing support
contract.
Is there a free version that works on FreeBSD Unix?

Not supported, at least. You could get it working with some kind
of Linux emulation environment on FBSD, but no guarantees.
If the whole things occupies less than ten megabytes, I could install
it on my personal shell account.

Hmm.. the download for Oracle 10gRel2 for Linux is a 600MB .zip file.
Then there's a few hundred more megs of auxiliary material. No,
Oracle is neither small nor lightweight -- and I'd guess many of
the most simple queries with just a handful of concurrent users
might run faster with some other DB engine. It's big databases,
huge amount of concurrent usage, and complex database schemas
combined with complex queries which get a benefit from Oracle.

And even there you need a DBA who knows his/her trade to keep it
running smoothly (ok, should be easier with the 9i/10g versions,
but was this way at least still with 8i versions). With default
installation/db setup at least 8i is far from fantastic.

John B. Matthews

[Newsgroups trimmed]
Juha Laiho said:
(e-mail address removed) (Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t) said:

Note, not just "not to be sold". It is "not to be used in a production
environment" -- and even the conditions for the development use
are rather strict; if I recall correctly, the Oracle instance is
not to be utilised by more than two persons (and this doesn't mean
simultaneous access; this means access at all -- f.ex. the limit
is "you and your boss", but not "you, a co-worker and your boss").
So, if you're building a web-application on top of this developer
Oracle, you can only have one tester in addition to yourself.

Strict yes, but I don't see this limitation in the license dated
03/09/05. Perhaps you were thinking of "...nontransferable limited
license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing a single
prototype of your application." Of course, IANAL.

In addition to no use for "your own internal data processing or for any
commercial or production purposes," some perfectly reasonable (but
compelling) limits include:

- You may not disclose results of any program benchmark tests without
Oracle's prior consent; [even if it's good news? :-]

- Oracle may audit your use of the programs.

I would encourage those interested to look at Oracle Technology Network
(sign-up required to download):

There's no technical limit to this, however - the limit is purely
contractual.

Indeed, one of the joys of using Oracle is no $%^# dongles, license keys
or calls home. Of course, you've already agreed to be audited, so you
have a compelling reason to be scrupulous:)
[...]

A talented DBA is invaluable, but a recent default install of 10g on
Windows 2003 Server went unexpectedly smoothly. I had only slightly more
trouble with 9i on Mac OS X, while 8i on RedHat 9 linux definitely
required support.