I wonder if someone could answer this question for me!

Oli Filth

Kate said:
I have been looking for ways to be able to only change my menu from one file
for quiet a while now. And over the last few days have been reading some of
the posts on topics relating to this. I even downloaded the programme
includeHTML, ( http://rosenlundnielsen.dk/software/ ) after reading the
link http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another that Mark
Parnell pointed out, but I don't understand how it works. No matter how
much I read and re-read the help file included in it.

My server supports php but I also don't know enough about that at the moment
to use it. In time I do intend to learn more on these subjects, as I taught
myself html and css. But being a single working mother, doesn't give me the
time I would like to spend learning more on these issues.

So now I was wondering if I had the menu inside a javascript file with ccs
for layout, how well do search engines do with this format? At the moment I
have a site with frames and a non-frames version for those that don't
support it, but I would so much rather have just the one that I could update
the menu from one file.

Any information on this subject would be really, really gratefully received.

If you have PHP on your server, this would be by far the best way to do
this. I would recommend trying to learn PHP, as it can do loads of
useful stuff.

To solve your menu problem, rename all of your .htm files as .php files.
Then, wherever you want your menu to appear in your HTML, insert the
following code:

<?php include "menu.htm"; ?>

Put the HTML for the menu in menu.htm.

Kate

[...]

Many thanks in advance,
Kate

Alan Cole

Kate said:
[...]

You could rename your html files to have a .shtml suffix rather than
..htm or .html and then wherever you want your 'menu' file to appear
simply use the following:

<!--#include virtual="./menu.shtml" -->

Hope that helps.

Al.

Kate

Oli Filth said:
If you have PHP on your server, this would be by far the best way to do
this. I would recommend trying to learn PHP, as it can do loads of
useful stuff.

To solve your menu problem, rename all of your .htm files as .php files.
Then, wherever you want your menu to appear in your HTML, insert the
following code:

<?php include "menu.htm"; ?>

Put the HTML for the menu in menu.htm.

Oli thank you so much, that seems to have the desired affect. I am very
grateful to you. Have a great Sunday!

Best wishes,
Kate

Kate

--
Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]

Thank you both so much, both work great. You have saved me going slightly
made. I have as I stated read and re-read so much documentation over the
last couple nights. :) Just a couple of questions though if you don't
mind indulging me a little longer. Would I be able to use css with the menu
file for layout and how do search engines handle the include?

Many thanks in advance,
Kate

Alan Cole

Thank you both so much, both work great. You have saved me going slightly
made. I have as I stated read and re-read so much documentation over the
last couple nights. :) Just a couple of questions though if you don't
mind indulging me a little longer. Would I be able to use css with the menu
file for layout and how do search engines handle the include?

Many thanks in advance,
Kate

css will work fine... you can either put the css inline in the menu file
or in the file containing the include statement, or link to it from
either the menu file or from the file containing the include statement.

Search engine will catalogue the contents of the included file as if it
were in the file that contains the include statement.

Basically, by the time the information gets to the browser (or search
engine robot) it is as if the included file were actually just a part of

Alan Cole said:
css will work fine... you can either put the css inline in the menu file
or in the file containing the include statement, or link to it from
either the menu file or from the file containing the include statement.

Search engine will catalogue the contents of the included file as if it
were in the file that contains the include statement.

Basically, by the time the information gets to the browser (or search
engine robot) it is as if the included file were actually just a part of
the file containing the include statement.

Al.

That's brilliant! I don't know how to thank you, :-() you really have made
my day! Time to myself is so precious in my household, and this has made
updating my site so much easier for me.

I have spent so many hours trawling the net to find in a layman's terms
explanation of how I do this, but always seemed to get search pages full of
technical this is how you do it. Both of your pieces of advice have been
great.

I hope you wont mind me coming back at a latter date with some more
questions, but for now I'm a very happy individual.

Thank you once again, have a great Sunday evening.
Kate.

Alan Cole

That's brilliant! I don't know how to thank you, :-() you really have made
my day! Time to myself is so precious in my household, and this has made
updating my site so much easier for me.

I have spent so many hours trawling the net to find in a layman's terms
explanation of how I do this, but always seemed to get search pages full of
technical this is how you do it. Both of your pieces of advice have been
great.

I hope you wont mind me coming back at a latter date with some more
questions, but for now I'm a very happy individual.

Thank you once again, have a great Sunday evening.
Kate.

No problem, it's good to be able to help others as I'm usually the one
asking the questions!

Al.

Kate

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle Kate scribbled in the mud:

That could be interesting. :)

lol... umm yes seven year old was having a temper tantrum at the time of
writing. No I haven't become a member of any mafia group.

Kate

Kate