introduction

Jenn

I've been reading this group for a while to get a feel for who posts here
and the sort of discussions, and I thought I'd say hi to everyone. I've
been an html coder for a long time and enjoy the banter talking about what
we do.

Nice to meet everyone. So how long have you all been doing what you do?

Adrienne Boswell

I've been reading this group for a while to get a feel for who posts
here and the sort of discussions, and I thought I'd say hi to
everyone. I've been an html coder for a long time and enjoy the
banter talking about what we do.

Nice to meet everyone. So how long have you all been doing what you
do?

Got a URL we can look at? That's where discussion usually starts.

Jenn

Adrienne Boswell said:
Got a URL we can look at? That's where discussion usually starts.

On my other computer my sigtag has my *creative* website url, so I'll just
post that link: http://pqlr.org/

It's nothing to shout about.. just something I did for fun years ago. Every
now and then I'll update the links it goes to and add other links to it. I
keep the bulk of my professional linked to my business site, (which I don't
really care to post that on Usenet just yet...)

Nice to meet you.

Jenn

Sherm Pendley said:
I've been a programmer since forever. I first learned HTML in '94,
when I was contracted to develop a site builder app called "Internet
Creator."

I'm guessing I learned HTML around the same time you did then and have been
doing that along with graphics work ever since.

Nice to meet you, sherm.

dorayme

I didn't mean you, Jenn, I meant him.

A weedy feller walk into a bar, the barman comes up to him and
asks what he will have. The feller says, obviously with a very
pronounced lisp, "A beer pwease". The barman asks if "Thap ith a
thchooner or a middy?" The feller is a bit suspicious but replies
politely anyway, "A thchooner please". He is poured a schooner
and pays.

A moment later, the big doors open with a thud and a man walks
in, voice as deep as he is broad and tall, as macho as he looks.
"Hey, gimme a beer", he thunders. The bartender asks him "That a
schooner or a middy, mate" in an almost equally macho way.
"Schooner of course!" the man replies. Bartender "Schooner coming
up" and slides the big drink to the man in a manly fashion.

"Hey" says the weedy feller at the end of the bar gesturing to
the barman. "So! You were taking the mickey out tof me, you
haven't goth a lithp at all!"

The barman leans over to the weedy man in a very confidential way
and says: "No, I thwas taking the mickey out tof thim!"

Jenn

dorayme said:
[...]

It must be a guy joke cuz I didn't get it LOL

idle

Doreme ithn't a guy. The thing requires thome translation, "taking the
Mickey out of" being almost unknown outside the Commonwealth.
Leaving aside the reference to the Irish, it translates as yanking
thomeone's chain. Now you can enjoy it in Oklahoma.

Translated into Oaklahomian it's "Oh oh oh oh oh ohhhhaklahoma, where the
wind comes sailing to yank your chain".

dorayme

"Jenn said:
It must be a guy joke cuz I didn't get it LOL

I have sent this to my literary advisors to see if it can be
better written to reflect the brilliance with which it can be
told... it's not a guy joke at all. What's a guy joke anyway,
blonde jokes?

dorayme

So that proves what? It is a bad guy joke? It is not a guy joke
'cos men from Texas only understand guy jokes? Or you boji are a
lady (from Texas not withstanding)? I bet I have missed some
other possibilities <g>

dorayme

bodytemp said:
...requires thome translation, "taking the
Mickey out of" being almost unknown outside the Commonwealth.
...translates as yanking
thomeone's chain. Now you can enjoy it in Oklahoma.

Yes, and more narrowly than the Commonwealth, there is the
Australian beer glass sizes mentioned. What beer glass sizes can
you order walking into an American bar?