newbie perl questions

chrispatton

Hello, everyone.

Is there a way to use the Perl interpereter interactivwely? As in, I
type a command
and the interpereter gives me the same responce it would give me in a
regular running program.

Is anyone familiar with the Python statement "exec"? Is there and
equivelant to this in Perl? I tried this statement in Perl, and the OS
executed the string passed to it. (awsome!)

Thanks!

Brian McCauley

Subject: newbie perl questions

Please put the subjuect of your post in the Subject of your post. Your
post is not about newbie perl questions, the subject of your post is:
Is there a way to use the Perl interpereter interactivwely?

This is, of course, FAQ: "How can I use Perl interactively?"

Note: the answer given in the latest version of the FAQ is much more
complete than in older versions so I suggest reading the FAQ on a
website such as CPAN rather than your local copy.
Is anyone familiar with the Python statement "exec"?

No I'm not but at a guess you are looking for another function starting
with the same letter.

A full list of Perl builtin functions can be found in the perlfunc
manual. If you are learning Perl it's really worth speding 5-10
minuites skimming this document.

Shawn Corey

Hello, everyone.

Is there a way to use the Perl interpereter interactivwely? As in, I
type a command
and the interpereter gives me the same responce it would give me in a
regular running program.

Is anyone familiar with the Python statement "exec"? Is there and
equivelant to this in Perl? I tried this statement in Perl, and the OS
executed the string passed to it. (awsome!)

Thanks!

UNIX: perl -ple '$_=eval'
DOS: perl-ple "$_=eval"

Type 'exit' to quit.

--- Shawn

Anno Siegel

Brian McCauley said:
A full list of Perl builtin functions can be found in the perlfunc
manual. If you are learning Perl it's really worth speding 5-10
minuites skimming this document.

The section "Perl Functions by Category" in that document is particularly
noteworthy, not to memorize it, but to remember it's there. Not only
beginners often face the question "I'm sure Perl can do this, but how
could it be called?". The answer can usually be found right there.

Anno