ORA-12145: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by antonyliu2002@yahoo.com, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I searched this group with key word ORA-12145, and got 0 hits.

    I posted this question yesterday in the oracle group. I thought over
    this issue, and I think people here may have come across similar
    problems.

    I am working on a ASP.NET 2.0 web application for IIS 6.0, the backend
    database for my web application is Oracle 10.1.0.2.0.

    This database resides on Machine A.
    The Web server is running on Machine B.
    I am developing the web application on Machine C.
    successfully configured the database connection. So, from the
    development machine, the web application works great, and the ListBox
    gets populated with data from the Oracle database nicely.

    But, if I check out this web application from the production web sever
    on Machine B, I get the following error:

    <error>
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the
    connect identifier specified.
    </error>

    And the following is the portion for connectionString in web.config for
    this web application:

    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="MyOracleConnectionString"
    connectionString="Provider=MSDAORA.1;Data
    Source=MyDataSource;Persist
    Security Info=True;Password=MyPassword;User ID=MyUserID"
    providerName="System.Data.OleDb" />
    development machine and the production web server have msdaora.dll
    under Program Files\Common Files\System\.

    Other Classic ASP and ASP.net applications on the same web server can
    connect to the same database with no problem at all using ODBC. But I
    cannot successfully configure this current ASP.NET 2.0 application to
    use ODBC.

    Anyone can share a little light on this mystery? Thanks.

    , Nov 23, 2006