phone cannot access mobile web app..why???

James Nong

I built an ASP.NET mobile web application last year for fun and hosted
it on my home server. I was successful in accessing it with my Sprint
phone, which uses the "Obigo 1.1.4 WAP 2.0" browser. Now, I'm with
Verizon and my current phone also uses an Openwave WAP 2.0 browser, but
I cannot access my mobile web site. When I punch in the URL, it hangs
for long time, then it gives me the error "Error: Request timed out".

I asked a friend who is with AT&T to try it on his cell phone, and it
works. So, my app is working. I dont know if it's a problem with my
new phone's browser software (do I need to upgrade it?), or with the
Verizon service (maybe they block something on their network).

Another concern is that my home internet service provider blocks port 80
on our network. So i had to use another port, like 81. So to access my
web app, the URL would be something like http://myapp.mydomain.com:81.
Could it be that my phone's browser does not recognize this non-default
port?

Any ideas? Anyone with Verizon that is able to successful access .NET
mobile web apps?