vhdl / verilog comparing

Maurice

Hello:

I know very well VHDL, and nothing about Verilog. which is better and why?

thanks

Maurice

Mike Treseler

Maurice said:
I know very well VHDL, and nothing about Verilog. which is better and why?

Verilog has more built-in support for printing debug messages.
VHDL has more built-in support for advanced synthesis.

-- Mike Treseler

Maurice

Jonathan Bromley said:
are you trying to incite a riot?

Not at all, why??
Simply, I don't know anything about verilog, I would just have an idea about
it, comparing with vhdl

Maurice

Maurice

Mike Treseler said:
Verilog has more built-in support for printing debug messages.
VHDL has more built-in support for advanced synthesis.

-- Mike Treseler

Thank you

Mike Treseler

Not at all, why??
Simply, I don't know anything about verilog, I would just have an idea about
it, comparing with vhdl

I am sure that Jonathan intended humor.
If you google this group on vhdl vs verilog
you will find many long and contentious treads.

-- Mike Treseler

Petter Gustad

Mike Treseler said:
Single process entities using no signals.

Why is single process with no signals more advanced when it comes to
synthesis?

Petter

Andy

Hello:

I know very well VHDL, and nothing about Verilog. which is better and why?

thanks

Maurice

If you need to do fixed or floating point arithmetic in hardware, VHDL
has it in spades over Verilog. This is just one example of the
inherent language capabilities (and not just syntactical sugar) of
VDHL that verlog lacks.

And as mentioned earlier, if you already know one, it is always better
than the one you don't know, unless you have a massive project ahead
and time to climb the learning curve.

Andy

Mike Treseler

Petter said:
Why is single process with no signals more advanced when it comes to
synthesis?

That is certainly a matter of opinion.
Structural vs procedural.
I prefer using variables, functions, and procedures
in a single box instead of modules upon modules.

-- Mike Treseler

Andy

That is certainly a matter of opinion.
Structural vs procedural.
I prefer using variables, functions, and procedures
in a single box instead of modules upon modules.

   -- Mike Treseler

I also prefer the immediate update semantics of variables as opposed
to the postponed updates of signals in processes. "I stored this in
the sig up here, but it still has the old value down here later...".

Using variables often makes it easier to insert/remove clock cycles in
your behavioral description. Two references to the same variable can
be registered or combinatorial values independently. The synthesis
tool will do what it takes to create HW that mimics the clock cycle
behavior of your code, which now reads like SW code, without the
postponed values issues. It also makes more sense when using the
source level debugger.

These may or may not be "advantages" to other users.

Andy

Petter Gustad

Andy said:
I also prefer the immediate update semantics of variables as opposed
to the postponed updates of signals in processes. "I stored this in
the sig up here, but it still has the old value down here later...".

Yuck. Synthesizable Ada comes to my mind. I guess I'm a little old
fashioned in this regard.

Petter

Petter Gustad

David Bishop said:
Verilog was written by a bunch of hardware guys who knew nothing about
software. We beat on it 'till you could do software with it.

Still I prefer SystemVerilog over VHDL for writing testbenches
using classes, constrained random generation, covergroups, queues,
assertions, and other software constructs.
VHDL was written by a bunch of software guys who knew nothing about
hardware. We beat on it 'till you could do hardware with it.

Still I prefer VHDL over Verilog for writing DUT's.

Petter